Repeated lock-ups...fix coming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Installed Leopard last week. Went well. No problems, except......

Completely randomly, the machine locks up. Curser may or may not move about but will not activate anything. Keyboard dead, too. Event quite spontaneous and not associated with any particular activity or application. On-line or off doesn't matter. It just stops working....poof! Only solution is hard power-off and re-start which makes everything fine again. However, beginning tonight, multiple hard power-off and restarts were required.

Understand from posts here and on Apple's own site that my complaint is minor in comparison to many others. Jeez, there are so many!! This is very disappointing to me. Very un-Apple-like in my experience. In 18 months with Tiger, I had become a believer. With Leopard, I just got my bubble popped. Any idea as when they're going to fix these obvious bugs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Sorry to hear about your problems, I guess I have been very fortunate as my install of Leopard worked perfectly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe any of the regulars around this forum have any of the issues you are describing.
And I don't really believe there are that many more problem related threads with Leopard than were being seen posted about Tiger in the months before Leopards release.
A good deal of the problems we have been seeing have had to do primarily with Simple Upgrades rather than an Archive and Install or even a Clean Install.

How did you install Leopard - the simple upgrade?
If so, would suggest doing an Archive and Install or a clean install (of course after backing up your system).
If you have any of the Unsanity products installed - suggest removing them prior to an archive and install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Do you have an aluminum iMac?

They lock up due to a bad ATI driver. This has been fixed now, check for the update if you don't have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Sorry to hear about your problems, I guess I have been very fortunate as my install of Leopard worked perfectly.

Same here!! I'm very glad to notice that my mbp is actually running faster and smoother!

I did a simple upgrade. But I've unistalled applications enhancer softwares before doind that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Simple upgrade. 18-month-old iMac. (specs to left) Have latest update. Infrequent occurrence, and not difficult to remedy. However, clearly something is wrong in there because Tiger never did this. Everything else better/faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Simple upgrade. 18-month-old iMac. (specs to left) Have latest update. Infrequent occurrence, and not difficult to remedy. However, clearly something is wrong in there because Tiger never did this. Everything else better/faster.

Go back and do an Archive and Install of 10.5. This will install a new system and integrate your profile, settings and documents into it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Will do when I have time. Doing turkey-things now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.