How much RAM is sufficient for Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
Now that Leopard's been here for a couple of weeks, I wanted to hear you opinion on how much RAM I should get for my Macbook (might be a switcher soon). I won't be running bootcamp or parallels. I'm debating over 1 or 2 GB.

1. I want to run Leopard without it lagging
2. I probably would use a combination of (nothing hardcore) iWork pages/itunes or safari/mail/iWork pages. Also, I would want to do occasional home video editing and iPhoto.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about Apple, but with Vista the system requirements are 800 MHz and 512 MB RAM. Now, can the OS boot up with that kind of speed and memory? Yes. But with all the software installed, will it run smoothly? No. It would lag to the point where it's almost impossible to use. I was asking if it was the same with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
On Apple's site it says 512 MB memory.

When I bought my Mac Pro, it came with 1 gb of memory. After the upgrade to Leopard, I was still waiting for my crucial memory to arrive. So I was using Leopard for about 2 weeks with 1 GB memory. It was ok, BUT I noticed a HUUUUUUGE speed boost when I added an additional 4 gigs of memory, so I definately suggest a memory upgrade!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Unless you are a very casual user that just checks email and some basic browsing, I would upgrade as far as you can afford to. More RAM will not hurt and help if you run a lot of applications at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I know a few people running Leopard with 1GB with no complaints, but I personally would recommend 2GB - there's quite a noticeable difference between 1GB and 2GB (it was a big improvement on Tiger, but even more so on Leopard in my opinion).

So, 1GB will be good, but 2GB will be a great deal better.

D R

Reaction score
You wouldn't want to run it on 512 meg of ram if you want a smooth experience. 1 gig at a minimum, and 2 would be nicer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I have 2GB and it runs smooooooootthhhhh on my macbook.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display
I have 2GB and it runs smooooooootthhhhh on my macbook.

T

X 2!!!

2Gb is perfect for me. Leopard and all my apps run great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

There are the requirements of Leopard. If you meet them then I don't see why it would lag.

Even Tiger lags with 512MB of RAM on an intel machine. I don't think people realise how much memory applications take now and how many apps they have sitting open usually. Right now I am on Leopard, I have these apps just sitting away in the background (this is normal for me)

- Camino (3 tabs)
- Entourage
- iTunes
- Adium
- Stickies
- iPhoto

I also have Blackberry Sync in the background

My machine is showing 651MB free RAM (I have 2gigs). If I open or close an app, it's silky smooth, but with only a gig it would have been caching and swapping 2 or 3 apps ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Of course no one is going to run on 512MB of ram. 512MB isn't even available for Macbook as a configuration unless you remove one by yourself.

The lowest RAM available to order is 1GB and it runs Tiger fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Of course no one is going to run on 512MB of ram. 512MB isn't even available for Macbook as a configuration unless you remove one by yourself.

The lowest RAM available to order is 1GB and it runs Tiger fine for me.

The question was how much is sufficient for Leopard, and you posted a link saying 512MB was the minimum required and then added if you meet that, it would not lag.

The fact is, many Intel machines were bought last year with only 512MB installed, and with this configuration, OS X certainly does lag if you open more then one or two apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With 1 GB I got lots of page outs with my imac under 10.4 and with 2 GB I have none. But I still have a little free memory and heaps of inactive memory and that's after playing games and sound/video editing. I would have to agree that 2GB seems to be a realistic minimum for a smooth running Mac.

And I believe this rule applies to 10.5 too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
My wife and daughters all have 1Gb on their Macbooks and 2 of them are running leopard (I haven't managed to pry the laptop off the other daughter yet). They all run quite happily with that much RAM although none of them are power users. My Mac mini has 2Gb and acts as the home server quite happily with leopard. My iBook has 1.5Gb and my Mac pro 6Gb and again no probs.

Basically I don't think it is any worse or better than tiger RAM wise. I will be updating my wife's Macbook to 2Gb shortly so will be able see the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
You wouldn't want to run it on 512 meg of ram if you want a smooth experience. 1 gig at a minimum, and 2 would be nicer.

I have 2Gb in my new 24" iMac (2.4GHz) and it sure flies compared to my older iMac 17 (1.83)...

Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Why not buy 1Gb of RAM.

If Leopard isn't running as smoothly as you like, buy another 1Gb stick and install it yourself.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not buy 1Gb of RAM.

If Leopard isn't running as smoothly as you like, buy another 1Gb stick and install it yourself.

Well, I think the problem with that is, since there's only 2 slots and the standard configuration is 512x512 I'll have to replace that with 1gbx1gb meaning that I'll have to buy 2gb of RAM.

Also another question. What do you think of Apple charging $150 for 2gb of RAM on the Macbook? Should I choose that option when buying my Macbook, or is it just overpriced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
It would be cheaper to buy the machine with 1Gb and upgrade it yourself to 2Gb but use good RAM. Crucial or Kingston are as good as Apple's in my experience.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For RAM where should I buy it from? I've heard about Newegg... what about Amazon? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.