Tiger to Leopard Upgrade - Disk keeps ejecting??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I just got my macbook pro and it came with an upgrade disk (to Leopard). The instructions state to insert the disk and double click to start the upgrade. Everytime I do this it tells me to click Continue to reboot and start the installation process. I click continue, the computer restarts, but it keeps ejecting the installation disk during the boot up process so I can't get the installation started. Is there something I'm missing or not doing correctly? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Insert Disc.

Shut Down computer.

Boot computer while holding down the "C" key.

Install software.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Insert Disc.

Shut Down computer.

Boot computer while holding down the "C" key.

Install software.

A couple stupid questions for you... sorry... lol... but by "C" key you do mean the letter "c" and not the control (ctrl) key? Does it have to be a capital C? I just tried holding down the letter "c" key and it didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean the key with the letter C on it. That tells the machine to boot from the disc drive. You have to hold it down as the machine boots.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I must be doing something wrong. I'm holding down the C key, but it keeps ejecting the disk. I also tried the older shift-option-command-delete trick, but that didn't work either. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;533131 said:
Is the disc a CD or DVD?

Does it matter? He has an MBP so it should boot from either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Your trackpad button isn't stuck down or your not holding it down during boot are you?

If the trackpad button is down during startup it will eject the disk.

Its no offense to you if you did, I did this once before.

Reaction score
Well the disc that came with my AppleCare Protection Plan, the TechTool Deluxe disc, is a CD and therefore isn't bootable on my Intel .... you need to download the DVD version from Apple. But I didn't have the ejecting issues though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it because it's a CD or because it doesn't have an Intel compatible Boot image (can you even fit a boot image on a CD anymore?)? I bought Data Rescue II some time ago and it came with 2 discs, 1 PPC and 1 Intel.

Reaction score
The boot image wasn't updated to be compatible with the intel macs. The reason behind this is contentious. I'm not sure if this has been fixed but I downloaded the beta version from the Apple site and burned it to dvd. Works fine now.

Seems it's been fixed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you checked the DVD for scratches or smudges? Since it seems you have a new MBP I would hope the DVD drive works. Does it accept other CD's or DVD's?

Check the Leopard DVD for fingerprints. Seen it happen over and over.

Did your MBP also come with the Tiger DVD since Leopard was not installed? Try booting from that DVD if you have it and see if it ejects.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Yea, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. It's a brand new Macbook Pro and the guy at the Apple store said to pop in the "cpu drop in DVD" and it should upgrade.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yea, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. It's a brand new Macbook Pro and the guy at the Apple store said to pop in the "cpu drop in DVD" and it should upgrade.

I edited my post and gave more info.

Reaction score
Go to Sys Prefs and change the Startup Disc to the upgrade disc and then restart.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Go to Sys Prefs and change the Startup Disc to the upgrade disc and then restart.

I tried that, but it still spits the disk out on reboot. I just did a software update and I'm waiting for 18 items to download!!!! Maybe something will get updated and it will work? I'll report back..... thanks for the help thus far!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read and try what I suggested? You never replied back.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Okay, I got Leopard installed! It was the updates.....for some reason something was out of date, but once I ran software updates and got everything up to snuff, I rebooted with the upgrade disk and it worked like a charm! Thanks everyone fro the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.