• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie '08 - Missing iPhoto videos

Reaction score
I have a number of video clips in iPhoto sorted into various events alongside corresponding photos.

While in iMovie, the iPhoto Video Events option only shows several events' videos. Many are missing and it's set to show all clips (even though I haven't marked anything). iMovie events are all showing up, but the iPhoto ones aren't. Is there something I'm not doing correctly? Is there a way to force iMovie to rebuild its iPhoto video thumbnails?

Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
After enough digging in the Apple forums, I found someone else with a similar problem. It appears if iPhoto events have a "&" in the name, they aren't recognized by iMovie's event browser. Since I have organized many videos into events with that symbol in the name, that's probably why they aren't showing up anymore. I'll have to test it when I get home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle
missing video

I've found that even in iPhoto 06, larger video clips were not imported from my camera. So I use a different program to import video from camera.

good luck

b

Reaction score
i have imported a clip onto iMovie from one of my folders and I want to cut certain parts out of it...how do I do that?

Reaction score
After enough digging in the Apple forums, I found someone else with a similar problem. It appears if iPhoto events have a "&" in the name, they aren't recognized by iMovie's event browser. Since I have organized many videos into events with that symbol in the name, that's probably why they aren't showing up anymore. I'll have to test it when I get home.

I signed in just to thank you for your posting. I was having exactly the same issue, and removing the & from the event fixed the issue! Now iMovie found the missing videos, and asked if I wanted to process the thumbnails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
i have imported a clip onto iMovie from one of my folders and I want to cut certain parts out of it...how do I do that?

First. Stop highjacking threads. You should have posted this as a new thread.

Second. When posting questions, let people know what version of the software you are using. In your case, the answer differs depending on if you are using iMovie 08, or a previous version. Yes I do know both answers, but as with most people who respond, I don't like having to construct multiple answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.1GHz

I registered just to say thanks.
I was having the same problem with one event not showing up in iMovie('08), even though the videos were in the event in iPhoto and in the same format as every other video I have used.
As it turned out, it was exactly the same as what you stated.
I changed the "&" to "and" in the event title and the videos are now showing up.

Thank you.

Reaction score
This is exactly the problem I'm having... but I changed the event in iphoto from "&" to "and" and still not showing up in imovie '09??? The file structure is still stored under the iphoto library as with the "&" (i.e. under original and modified folders).... just doing what you guys did above didn't seem to work... anything I'm missing?

Thanks

Reaction score
I had this problem, where it wasn't importing (but using iMovie '09). The solution was to let iMovie build the thumbnails for my imported videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.