Mac, Win XP, Parallels & now a bloody virus

Reaction score
New switcher here, & I was hardly a "Power user" to begin with, anyway prob is I installed Parallels to run some Win only SW I have to have. Of course I didnt install AV SW and I got eaten alive by Brave Sentry/SpySherrif. I had great fun getting Paralles to run in the first place, so I'm not looking forward to wiping WinXP & Parallels so I can start fresh. How would I go about getting this spyware off & how difficult or wise is it to erase Win & Plls. & re-install? WIll this get rid of the hidden files that Adaware, Spyhunter, Norton and a few others dont seem to be able to find & destroy ? TIA Dubliner

Reaction score
Once you have viruses and spyware, your best bet is to just reinstall.

First thing you should do after installing windows is run ALL updates including IE7 and NEVER randomly click yes on boxes that appear from the internet.

OP
D
Reaction score
"NEVER randomly click yes on boxes that appear from the internet."
I got you there, it posed as an Anti Spyware notice.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Ask yourself, "What would I do if I had this infection on a windows PC?"
Would you format the HD then reinstall Windows and all applications? Granted, the process is a little easier with a virtual machine, but it can be dealt with. It is possible to clean up from this. When you are done, install Spybot, AdAware, and reputable antivirus software (if you haven't).
Don't even use the internet on the Windows VM! I mean, why would you do this?
Finally, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, CLICK ON POPUPS! NEVER!:Shouting:

Good luck:)

Reaction score
After cleaning up the malware, it might be wise to use the Mac on the web to download all the Windows anti-malware programs you need, copy them over to the Windows side and install them before going on the web with Windows again.

That way, it will have protection from the outset.

Reaction score
I don't see a need to reinstall Parallels, though you may want to delete the shared folder.

Disinfecting Windows can be very tricky and often times it's quicker just to reinstall Windows, but it depends on your time cost/benefit. Perhaps this forum http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/ can help if you want to try to disinfect before you reinstall your Windows virtual machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
This is what virtual machine snapshots are for. I would just blow out your virtual machine, reinstall XP in a new vitual machine and then fully patch it and install anti virus. Install IE 7. Then when all that is done make a snapshot. Now if you get any trouble you can always revert back to this saved point.

Reaction score
Are you saying he needs to format his whole mac, just for the windows virus?

I've actually had a good success rate of removing any viruses I've ever got on my windows xp system. Not sure about vista, but on xp even though it might've took a week, i was able to remove all viruses and spyware from the systems i've worked on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
"NEVER randomly click yes on boxes that appear from the internet."
I got you there, it posed as an Anti Spyware notice.

It doesn't matter, don't answer Yes from ANY questions from the Internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
One more word of advise would be to take a snapshot immediately after install ... if you face a similar problem you can always go back to the snapshot which is a point in time image of your xp installation.... No amount of AV & spywares can protect windows completely. This can save you lot of effort to restore back.

Ofcourse this feature is available in VMF not sure whether Parallels has it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.) Run Ad Aware
2.) Run Spybot
3.) Run HiJackThis and post your report log at a PC security forum such as www.security-forums.com
The sole purpose of these forums is to help people who post their HiJackThis logs.

Reinstalling should be a last resort. 95% of junk can be removed by people helping you on HiJackThis forums.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't matter, don't answer Yes from ANY questions from the Internet.

No, it DOES matter! I've seen pop-ups that LOOK like a message box with a Yes and Cancel button and all, but the whole popup was the Yes button. Even if you clicked the Close button in the top right corner, it would proceed to install the bad thing. For instance, think about those annoying, floating Flash popups.) The best thing to do (in Windows) is to key Alt + F4 to close the popup when it has focus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it DOES matter! I've seen pop-ups that LOOK like a message box with a Yes and Cancel button and all, but the whole popup was the Yes button.

It's very simple to spot this - if you get a hand-pointer when you hover over the Yes or No buttons then you can tell it's an ad. This is a basic form of security - DO NOT just blindly click on an unsolicited question box without taking a few seconds to work out what it is.

Even if you clicked the Close button in the top right corner, it would proceed to install the bad thing.

Same thing - hover over the X close button - if you get a web-link hand pointer, then it's a popup/ad. Either way, you should not click on an unsolicited question box displayed when you visit a web page, no matter what they look like. Think about it - no Windows message box displays a Hand pointer on any of it's buttons, Yes, No, OK or Close.

Another simple method is to adjust your Windows fonts or colours slightly, so spoof message boxes from web pages don't look like your Windows setup and are easier to spot.

Reaction score
Word of advice for future reference....

This is what I do on all my VMs...

Set your virtual hard disk to Non Persistant. That way, if you catch a virus or malware, you just reboot and its gone because all changes are discarded...

All you need to do then is use the shared folder to store any important files and such...

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very simple to spot this - if you get a hand-pointer when you hover over the Yes or No buttons then you can tell it's an ad...
Same thing - hover over the X close button - if you get a web-link hand pointer, then it's a popup/ad. Either way, you should not click on an unsolicited question box displayed when you visit a web page, no matter what they look like. Think about it - no Windows message box displays a Hand pointer on any of it's buttons, Yes, No, OK or Close.

Another simple method is to adjust your Windows fonts or colours slightly, so spoof message boxes from web pages don't look like your Windows setup and are easier to spot.

So it DOES matter...
It's still not as simple as you make it out to be.
Yes, the hand pointer is often the GUI default for links, but if you are coding a spoof popup, you can assign different pointer types for different areas of the window (or, in this case, the same pointer type for the whole window).

I like the color-tweak idea! However, since it is well-known where Windows settings are stored, a sophisticated spoof could populate itself with those settings. It's not fool-proof. We need something like...keying Alt + F4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Are you saying he needs to format his whole mac, just for the windows virus?

No. They are saying to just delete the current Win image file, create a new image file and go through the whole install process for Windows on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it DOES matter...
It's still not as simple as you make it out to be.
Yes, the hand pointer is often the GUI default for links, but if you are coding a spoof popup, you can assign different pointer types for different areas of the window (or, in this case, the same pointer type for the whole window).

It depends on how the ad is constructed - standard inline image ads you certainly can't do that. But... the answer is still not to answer questions like that which appear when you load an internet page. If I get them I simple close the browser tab, 'nuff said. They're BS anyway - a web page cannot know that your machine has a virus or needs optimising, common sense tells you that.

I like the color-tweak idea! However, since it is well-known where Windows settings are stored, a sophisticated spoof could populate itself with those settings. It's not fool-proof. We need something like...keying Alt + F4.

Web pages cannot obtain or adjust system settings, at all.

My answer is just to stay away from sites that contain these spoofs - after 15 years or so, it's served me well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.