Dock, Mail, Safari gone haywire - at wit's end!

Reaction score
Ever since I installed Leopard on my dual 2.0 G5 (early 2005 model), the Dock, Mail, and to some extent Safari have gone nuts. With no discernable pattern, every once in a while, when I click on Mail in the dock, all I get is a Finder window showing Mail in my Applications folder window. Mail then acts very strange, automatically opening a new email message (that I can't get rid of without force quitting), and not allowing me to get into my mailboxes. It doesn't "freeze", but it might as well. All I can do is restart the machine.

When the above happens in Dock, Safari then sometimes goes nuts as well. When I click on a menu bar bookmark, a new tab opens, but Safari doesn't function properly.

Additionally sometimes no matter what (anywhere on my desktop) I try to click, I get a little window with "options" that won't let me do anything (I have to restart).

I've had to restart my machine more times since I installed Leopard two weeks ago than I have for the entire time I've owned it. So far I'm way less than impressed with Leopard's functionality, and I'm having flashbacks to the six weeks (or more) I spent trying to get my IILC functional when I "upgraded" from System 6 to System 7 all those years ago. I still have grey hairs and wrinkles from that fiasco.

Please, please, please tell me I'm not the only one that this is happening to, and that there's an easy fix.

I really don't want to call Apple, since the people in Bangalore don't have a friggin' clue (all they can do is read from their scripted flow chart).

I'm pulling what's left of my hair out here...

Thanks for any help!

Butch

Reaction score
Can I ask how long you have been using Macs or computers in general, Butch?

OP
J
Reaction score
Mac since 1989, computers since, oh, about 1975... I'm a *user* not a tech geek however.

B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ever since I installed Leopard on my dual 2.0 G5 (early 2005 model), the Dock, Mail, and to some extent Safari have gone nuts. With no discernable pattern, every once in a while, when I click on Mail in the dock, all I get is a Finder window showing Mail in my Applications folder window. Mail then acts very strange, automatically opening a new email message (that I can't get rid of without force quitting), and not allowing me to get into my mailboxes. It doesn't "freeze", but it might as well. All I can do is restart the machine.

When the above happens in Dock, Safari then sometimes goes nuts as well. When I click on a menu bar bookmark, a new tab opens, but Safari doesn't function properly.

Additionally sometimes no matter what (anywhere on my desktop) I try to click, I get a little window with "options" that won't let me do anything (I have to restart).

I've had to restart my machine more times since I installed Leopard two weeks ago than I have for the entire time I've owned it. So far I'm way less than impressed with Leopard's functionality, and I'm having flashbacks to the six weeks (or more) I spent trying to get my IILC functional when I "upgraded" from System 6 to System 7 all those years ago. I still have grey hairs and wrinkles from that fiasco.

Please, please, please tell me I'm not the only one that this is happening to, and that there's an easy fix.

I really don't want to call Apple, since the people in Bangalore don't have a friggin' clue (all they can do is read from their scripted flow chart).

Thanks for any help!

Butch

How did you upgrade to 10.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Thanks for any help!

Butch

Oddly enough, it seems like the command key is sticking. This happens time to time with me, Tiger and Leopard, and it's a bit irritating. But not all the time.. Weird!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.