CPU + Monitor + I-TV. Test your wisdom - help my friend!

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new, nice to meet you all.
A friend of mine named Nemo purchased an I-TV box, which basically takes a satellite feed and transmits it onto your computer screen.
Now, my friend is interested in HD TV, but it has been brought to his attention that he may be able to get a better picture using the I-TV box, along with certain computers.
So, what my friend wants to do is get the smallest possible laptop, but with the largest, most powerful cpu, refresh rate, and the highest of whatever else pertains to picture quality, and then buy a really nice 40 to 50 inch monitor that is compatible with the small laptop, and it's high cpu, and then plug the satellite feed into the I-TV box, plug the I-TV box into the small laptop, and then have the picture shown in like 5,000,000 or more total pixels, the highest possible processing bandwith, and the lowest number of milisecond refresh rate of the pixels (and all in xxxxxP, as opposed to xxxxI (as in 1080p/versus 1080i), and my friend Eemo wants to do all of this as high quality as possible, yet with the least amount of money as possible.
So, questions:
1. What mac laptop is the BEST in cpu and refresh rate and ALL OTHER aspects needed to transmit perfect picture quality into a larger monitor

2. What is the smallest, cheapest price said laptop comes in? (without downsizing any of its capabilities),
and

3. What monitor, between 40 and infinity inches, has the most pixels, supports the small laptops' high CPU and everything else, and gives the BEST POSSIBLE picture quality?

and 4. What's the cheapest price I get this equipment at? (if price discussion is aloud on this forum. if not, I apologize, I was unaware.)

5. If there is no possible way to acheive this near perfection 40+ inch "HD" viewing experience via a small screened yet very powerful laptop, a 40+ inch high capability and compatible with the high powered laptop monitor, an HD directv feed, and an I-TV box, for 5 or 6,000 or less, then what combiniation of a small screen powerful laptop and a large, good monitor, etc etc could my friend purchase for less money and still get an exceptional picture? (meaning way better than costco's standard 2,000$ LCD or PLASMA screens, which don't have nearly enough tv processing bandwith or a low enough refresh rate. in fact, it's probably a combo of both, which is why I'm looking into this I-TV idea. I wannt VERY HIGH "TV processing bandwith"/how fast it can render (which I believe, but am not sure, is expressed as "CPU" for computers, and I also need a big monitor that supports that tiny powerful laptop.

Can I get some suggestions please for both the laptops and the monitors? Also some technical advice so I can further understand all of this? I have a vague understanding of it all but am still not quite sure what everything means. Please help me out with links to the type of laptop(s) I'm looking for, and the type of monitor(s) I'm looking for.

Thank you SO MUCH for helping me. This whole tv/computer/hd buying thing is such a hassle, and having knowledgeable opinions from people like experienced mac users on this forum is quite a luxury, so believe me, your help will not go unappreciated.

Cheers everyone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
1. The MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz utilities the fastest processor in Mac laptops. It's a 15" but it would only display a 720p signal. The 17" would slightly downscale a 1080p signal seeing its resolution is 1680x1050. But at that size of a screen, the difference between a 720p signal and a 1080p signal will not be noticed. I read that it's difficult to notice a difference in resolutions until you compare 42" TVs. When I was purchasing a HDTV I compared the two I was most interested with side-by-side. One was a Samsung 40" 720p set and the other was a Samsung 40" 1080p set. They looked exactly the same in my opinion.
2. $2499 for the 15" MBP
3. As for a TV, I like Samsung's. I think their big selling point is their refresh rate. I wound up purchasing the 32" 720p LN-T3253H LCD. The HD signal is great and the signal from my computer is crisp.
Quality and price go hand-in-hand when it comes to electronics. If you're going to shop at Costco and buy a generic Chinese HDTV you might be dissapointed.
4. Pricegrabber.com Best Buy sells my TV for $1699. I bought it online through pricegrabber.com for $850 with free shipping and zero sales tax.

OP
E
Reaction score
except refresh rate doesn't mean anything if the tv doesn't have the required processing bandwith to utilize the quick refresh speed. i am personally a fan of tube tvs, but, back to my question. I-TV BOX, SMALL LAPTOP WITH GOOD CPU, AND HUGE MONITOR THAT SUPPORTS IT ALL. WHAT CAN I GET?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am still confused about what you're asking.
1. This is an Apple based forum. People come here to get advice about Apple products. As I mentioned, the MacBook Pro is the top of the line laptop made by Apple.
2. Watching TV or video feeds on a laptop or a computer monitor is a bad choice if you are looking for quality. Computer screens are designed to display static, non-moving pictures best. Televisions are designed specifically for moving pictures.

I point all these out because I am confused. I assumed you came here for advice about a Mac laptop which is what I did tried to help you with. The other questions you have confuse me because they are ones that seem unlikely to be answered in this forum. If I am totally off base here and am completely wrong, I am sorry. I am only trying to help.

As for your original questions, it seems like hard facts like specifications such are what you're after, correct?? Please visit the following websites and do a little research on your own.

Apple
Samsung
LG Electronics
HDTV Forum

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.