unresponsive button

Reaction score
does anyone find that the 'on' button at the back of the 20" aluminium imac to be not very responsive? i have to press it twice in order to turn the machine on.

M

MacHeadCase

Your iMac is obviously still under warranty so give Apple Care a call.

My iMac G5 launches as soon as I press on the button, no need to press twice and I would guess this is normal behaviour, never had a Mac that needed the button pressed twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you sure your Mac isn't sleeping when you press the button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I also have 20" iMac & it always responds 1st time for me, if its still under you should get it checked out as it may only get worse & if this happens after your warranty expires you could be looking at hefty payout to get it fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi,
Yeah..... I have just got my new Alu Imac to replace my white one and I too find it to be a bit unresponsive..... my old white Imac needed just a slight touch.... this one needs a few hard presses.... sometimes I wonder if I am switching it on and off as I have to press it several times.
I will wait and see if it becomes too much of a pain before ringing Apple.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
Are you sure your Mac isn't sleeping when you press the button?

i shut down my imac every night ie turn off the switch on my power point. every morning i turn on the switch and then my imac. so it cannot be sleeping.
sorry to say so, sidturbo, but i don't feel so alone now with this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
i shut down my imac every night ie turn off the switch on my power point. every morning i turn on the switch and then my imac. so it cannot be sleeping.
sorry to say so, sidturbo, but i don't feel so alone now with this issue.

Can I ask why you do this every night, switch of the power point as well as your mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi Hellfried,

Glad you feel some comfort but like you I switch my Imac off via powerpoint and on the next day....... Global warming but mainly to save money on juice cos I have a power saver multi-plug adapter that switches all my electric devices off once i press the remote OFF button. Nothing on standby in this house anymore !

That Imac button is definitely much less responsive though. I never know if I have pressed it hard enough or not. Annoying....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I shutdown my machine every night. I never leave it on unless I'm infront of it or it's downloading something. It's just an old habit from the days when I had a pre G3 powermac. It didn't have a sleep function.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
I shutdown my machine every night. I never leave it on unless I'm infront of it or it's downloading something. It's just an old habit from the days when I had a pre G3 powermac. It didn't have a sleep function.

then u will understand why i do what i do. i just feel its such a waste of power to leave my wifi router and modem and the mac on at night when i am not doing anything with them. i only leave them on when i am downloading a huge file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.