parental controls question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
ok guys here's the deal. i've got a MBP here that i allow my roommates to use for checking their myspace, facebook and email, and it seems that either them or their friends have been using my computer to look at some "adult" websites. we all know what these sites can do to computers, so i'd like to restrict access to them. the problem, however, is that when i turn the parental controls on, it blocks facebook and myspace.

I've tried adding *.facebook.com, www.facebook.com, *.myspace.com, etc and none of these seem to do the trick. can anyone provide me with some pointers?

T

todd51

I have also had that problem, but that was on a Windows system. I pretty much just cut my roommate off. I said, "you got one strike, and now your out." 2 weeks later his parents bought him a computer since he needed one for school.

Try just telling them, I know it may seem awkward for some people but it could also work. Just slip a reminder in there saying, trust me I know EVERYTHING you do on my computer, so that they think you have some crazy software that logs everything.

What browser are you using? Safari? Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I pretty much just cut my roommate off.
I agree. Best thing to do IMO.
If they want to check their own stuff online, then they can get their own computer to do it.

OP
mck_tj05
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have told them but i just don't trust them. I have a feeling it's the friends anyways. But to answer your question I'm using safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just lock down the computer when you aren't using it... and DO use a password that is not easily guessed... and DON'T give it to the roommates.

OP
mck_tj05
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think i will do that anyways.

T

todd51

Whenever I was living with people I didn't know very well I beefed up the security of my computer. I turned on FileVault and made sure people needed a password to turn the screensaver off. EVERY time I left my computer I used Expose to set the screensaver.

Have you tried using Firefox to see if there are any Add-ons or Parental Control plugins for it? If you find some that work set up a guest account on the computer to almost limit it completely to only being able to use Firefox and then they will only be able to access the sites they want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
we all know what these sites can do to computers

I know what they can do to Windows based computers but there's not much they can do to a Mac, besides make your keyboard sticky....

T

todd51

I know what they can do to Windows based computers but there's not much they can do to a Mac, besides make your keyboard sticky....

Haha, to be honest that was the MAIN thing I was worried about when I let my roommate use my computer, since I was already asleep at the time and he was the only one up.

OP
mck_tj05
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i rebooted my computer after messing with it and just left the sites in there and now it works. i guess it just needed a re boot? idk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.