• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how do you save youtube videos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
is there a free program? i kno of tube sock, but thats not free and the demo is only 30 seconds of vid. i kno there is an internet program but i forgot to book mark it! any help? also i msorry, i did not kno where to put this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There are no free programs that I am aware of. QuickTime Pro seems to the stock answer for folks using Macs.

That having been said, I saved the following from a post on this very topic some months back - have never tried it though:

First, most embedded video files which cannot be downloaded are Flash movies, with extension .flv.

Youtube, Googlevideo, and others all use mostly Flash movies. You cannot right click and download those movies like most others, what you do is this -

1) With the page open, navigate to Safari menu --} Window --} Activity

2) If you did this correctly, a small activity window will appear. ( see pic)

3) Now, how do you find the movie file in the Activity window and download The smart thing to do, which I do, is observe the entry where it shows a download in progress,which steadily goes up, and that is the video.

See the attached pic where it shows 1.2 MB OF 8.5, when a youtube video is playing.

Another way is just to look at right side for the largest file, that will be the video.

4) Once you have found it, double click it. It will download as a .flv file. To play it, you need VLC PLayer, or Perian installed to allow Quicktime to play .flv files.

Reaction score
I use Democracy which has changed its name to Miro.

You can do so much with this app ... you just enable the search field so that it only searches YouTube and once it displays the results, just click to download.

It organises the videos within it's own folder hierarchy in your Movies folder and I think the file extension is .flv. Make sure you back them too, as I just lost all of my collection.

Another way is to have a free YouTube account and add any vids as a favourite and then you can see it anytime you want from within the one webpage. You can also create playlists and even embed the vids into your own website if you like.

I just tried the link in the previous post and it's a great simple way to download YouTube vids, you just need the URL for the vid and within seconds it's downloaded to your Desktop. As it mentions, you can use VLC to play the files and just about every mac user should have VLC installed.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I assume there are no legality issues with this since the video is hosted on youtube.

Of course there are - if you copy it without the permission of the owner of the video then you are in breach of copyright laws!

Reaction score
Of course there are - if you copy it without the permission of the owner of the video then you are in breach of copyright laws!

If it is that straight forward, why would Youtube allow the video to stay up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I assume there are no legality issues with this since the video is hosted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRTk0RPXtW4

edit: looks like the service is temporarily down. Not sure if it is technical or legal.

Here's another online version from techcrunch:

http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/

No legality issues?
There are hundreds of copyright infringing videos put onto youtube everyday.
Even people showing themselfs downloading video games, Im not joking.
Its down to the users to report it or if its part of a film generally the mainstream companies will have it removed.

For the post... Yes you can download videos from youtube...
however legally you cannot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I use Tubesock although not free, it's pretty good for saving to your video iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
There are auite a few free little programs that can do it. you can even get fire fox plugins that do it and save the flash file on your computer. i cant remember the names of any programs off hand, just google it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
The only thing you need is Safari, as described above. That method works just fine. I use it all the time.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
If you have Windows on your machine you can download FireFox / Mozilla browser. Firefox has a Video Download plug-in that will allow you to capture any You-Tube or Google-Video..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I love tubesock. Just queue in the links, and the next morning you find all your videos in the iTunes library.

Reaction score
how do you use squared5.com??? i have it downloaded but i have no idea how to get a youtube video into the program?

Reaction score
use TubeTV its brilliant. Free, reliable and really easy to use. I think theres a download for it on the last page of the video section on apple downloads....either that or just google it. Works for pretty much any website hosting videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White
how do u use safari to save them? please can someone explain to me???

Reaction score
use TubeTV its brilliant. Free, reliable and really easy to use. I think theres a download for it on the last page of the video section on apple downloads....either that or just google it. Works for pretty much any website hosting videos.

I just read through the post and cannot believe no one has mentioned this yet. TubeTV is by far the easiest (not to mention cheapest) way of downloading wideos from youtube and google video...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
yerp that's what I use very very simple and its free :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Try http://www.clipnabber.com ; it might not have the conversion powers of http://www.vixy.net ; but it's a lot more stable. I used Vixy before but there are a lot of times wherein it can't download but ClipNabber can.

Then you can use http://www.media-convert.com to convert your FLV file for free, but you need to be on DSL since it might take a long time on dial-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.