Why is pointer flying across screen on own?

H

Horatio Street

Anyone have this problem and/or know what's going on? How is it remedied?

My pointer has been going haywire lately. I'll be surfing and it will suddenly fly off to one side and down to the bottom of the screen.

I checked the settings but nothing's changed since I started using my Book. I use an Apple mouse instead of the trackpad for speed. When the problem wouldn't go away I got a new Apple mouse, but it hasn't made a difference.

:mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
When this problem was happening to me it was because my trackpad was still on and my hand, when typing, would accidentally, touch the trackpad as I typed, which of course would shoot the mouse in whatever direction...

OP
I

Icarus

There's an option to turn the trackpad off when using an external mouse...I suggest you look into that.

OP
H

Horatio Street

Thanks for the responses. However, I do have the "ignore trackpad when mouse present" selected in System Preferences.

Who said Mac was going to be easy to deal with? I don't need to be on the computer as much as I used to be, and switched from Windows to Mac about a year ago. So far, I've been more frustrated with Mac than since I began to use a PC 15 20 yrs ago.

:(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Horatio Street said:
Who said Mac was going to be easy to deal with? I don't need to be on the computer as much as I used to be, and switched from Windows to Mac about a year ago. So far, I've been more frustrated with Mac than since I began to use a PC 15 20 yrs ago.

:(

I believe that your frustration level is higher, because you know the wintel environment very well and you are still getting use to the new environment.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The difference with me, is I have 20 years in the Apple environment and get very frustrated with the wintel environment. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
maybe your trackpad is broken somehow...

If you use the trackpad do you have this problem??

the only other thing I can think of is that the mouse is following the window focus maybe??

OP
H

Horatio Street

Thanks to all the responses.

So now I have to worry that my 1-yr old iBook might have a bad trackpad? I guess when it comes to Apple, it's all about pouring out as much $$ as possible. :eek:

OP
V

vuschejan

Horatio Street said:
Thanks to all the responses.

So now I have to worry that my 1-yr old iBook might have a bad trackpad? I guess when it comes to Apple, it's all about pouring out as much $$ as possible. :eek:

I had the same thing the thing is though the track pad on all laptops is balenced between the left and the right. If you had like held it the wrong way it might have pushed the balance, I know ive done it :-D

OP
C

ChicoWeb

vuschejan said:
I had the same thing the thing is though the track pad on all laptops is balenced between the left and the right. If you had like held it the wrong way it might have pushed the balance, I know ive done it :-D

If its the same problem that I had, where it would go completely nuts and out of control and jam to the top left of your screen no matter what you did, its a bad ground and bad track pad.

Its actually a common problem with the ibooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.