PC Export to Mac Import Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I am having a problem with importing my mail messages. I

I used Outlook 2002 on my Dell PC. I converted all the messages to Netscape Mail (as the Switching to Mac book told me to), but I can't export/import them to Apple Mail. If I can get them in Apple Mail than, if I want, I can import to Entourage.

I tried and did update my Office 2002 with SP3 on the Microsoft website, and still nothing. I even spent the $10 on O2M software that I purchased for my MacBook (And, it worked great there) and nothing. I do not know if my Dell PC is corrupted. I can view the converted messages in Netscape Mail on the Dell PC, but they will export to a USB drive or external WD HD, but when I hit import only one message for Inbox and one for sent mail shows up.

If I open the file on the exyernal HD, I can see all the messages.

What am I doing wrong? Or, is it a PC/Mac issue?

Thanks for all the help. And, Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Reaction score
You are trying to export Outlook mail ~> Netscape on your PC, then trying to import to Mail.app so you can export them and import them into Entourage on your Mac?

I think I'm almost as worn out as you might be with this task, just on trying to digest all that ....

You must have a lot of emails? Is your Outlook acct a POP one? This is gonna take some concentration ...

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;532531 said:
You are trying to export Outlook mail ~> Netscape on your PC, then trying to import to Mail.app so you can export them and import them into Entourage on your Mac?

I think I'm almost as worn out as you might be with this task, just on trying to digest all that ....

You must have a lot of emails? Is your Outlook acct a POP one? This is gonna take some concentration ...
I can't even import them to Apple mail.

I do have a lot of emails. I work for the government and I am not allowed to delete any of them. If the import into Apple mail would work, I'd be happy and might even stop there.

Maybe I should just save those emails on my external hard drive as an outlook file and if I need to retrieve any of them later, I will have to access them from a PC. But, eventually, I will get rid of all my PCs except for one laptop.

My outlook account is POP.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;533110 said:
Be sure to let us know how it goes ... good luck ;)
One note, I will only use Safari. My contact import from Outlook to Address book was successful. My contact import to Entourage turned 200 contacts into over 3000 contacts. :eek:

I will keep you updated as I attempt the import. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Here is what I did to import my Outlook messages to Mail.
Import Outlook messages on your PC to Outlook Express. When done, export mail in O-Express. Those files will have a .dbx extension. You then need to convert .dbx to .mbx - download converter here:
http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/english/dbxconv.html.
Use you network connection to drag drop those converted .mbx files from your PC to your OSX desktop. Then rename those file extensions to .mbox. In Mail import those .mbox files and set-up your smart folders.

Worked for me.

I am having a problem with importing my mail messages. I

I used Outlook 2002 on my Dell PC. I converted all the messages to Netscape Mail (as the Switching to Mac book told me to), but I can't export/import them to Apple Mail. If I can get them in Apple Mail than, if I want, I can import to Entourage.

I tried and did update my Office 2002 with SP3 on the Microsoft website, and still nothing. I even spent the $10 on O2M software that I purchased for my MacBook (And, it worked great there) and nothing. I do not know if my Dell PC is corrupted. I can view the converted messages in Netscape Mail on the Dell PC, but they will export to a USB drive or external WD HD, but when I hit import only one message for Inbox and one for sent mail shows up.

If I open the file on the exyernal HD, I can see all the messages.

What am I doing wrong? Or, is it a PC/Mac issue?

Thanks for all the help. And, Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Reaction score
PC to Mac Mail

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a solution to the original post, but I thought I'd share my experience with exporting my mail from Outlook 2007 to Entourage.

Specifically, I downloaded Mozilla's email program - thunderbird. I thien ran it for the first time after it was set-up, at which time I was asked if I'd like to import anything. I imported my Outlook mail to this program. Once that was done, I went looking for the thunderbird folder in which all my personal Outlook folders were stored into. I went into "My settings and documents" in the PC, then to my username, and found the Applications folder. You will find the Applications folder by going to "folder options" and disabling the hidden folders option (making the folders visible).

Once you're in the Applications folder, you find the thunderbird sub-folder, then the profile sub folder, and then the mail sub folder. In said folder you will find duplicates of all the personal folders (i.e. inbox, sent items, etc.) you had in Outlook. Some of the files will have the .msf extension - you want the version that does not have this extension. Copy the files without the .msf extension into one folder on your desktop, and once you've done that, add the .mbox extension to each of these files in the desktop folder.

Send this folder to the Mac, and once there, click on each of the files (which represent each of your folders you had in Outlook, which now have the .mbox extension). The computer will ask you to find the program you want to use, and you simply choose Entourage. And there you have it!

I hope I didn't miss a step, and I hope this is useful - if not for you, anyone else who has gone through numerous websites to find an answer.

Take care,

Luis

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what I did to import my Outlook messages to Mail.
Import Outlook messages on your PC to Outlook Express. When done, export mail in O-Express. Those files will have a .dbx extension. You then need to convert .dbx to .mbx - download converter here:
http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/english/dbxconv.html.
Use you network connection to drag drop those converted .mbx files from your PC to your OSX desktop. Then rename those file extensions to .mbox. In Mail import those .mbox files and set-up your smart folders.

Worked for me.

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a solution to the original post, but I thought I'd share my experience with exporting my mail from Outlook 2007 to Entourage.

Specifically, I downloaded Mozilla's email program - thunderbird. I thien ran it for the first time after it was set-up, at which time I was asked if I'd like to import anything. I imported my Outlook mail to this program. Once that was done, I went looking for the thunderbird folder in which all my personal Outlook folders were stored into. I went into "My settings and documents" in the PC, then to my username, and found the Applications folder. You will find the Applications folder by going to "folder options" and disabling the hidden folders option (making the folders visible).

Once you're in the Applications folder, you find the thunderbird sub-folder, then the profile sub folder, and then the mail sub folder. In said folder you will find duplicates of all the personal folders (i.e. inbox, sent items, etc.) you had in Outlook. Some of the files will have the .msf extension - you want the version that does not have this extension. Copy the files without the .msf extension into one folder on your desktop, and once you've done that, add the .mbox extension to each of these files in the desktop folder.

Send this folder to the Mac, and once there, click on each of the files (which represent each of your folders you had in Outlook, which now have the .mbox extension). The computer will ask you to find the program you want to use, and you simply choose Entourage. And there you have it!

I hope I didn't miss a step, and I hope this is useful - if not for you, anyone else who has gone through numerous websites to find an answer.

Take care,

Luis

Thanks centurian and Luis! So many choices. I will give the SD's try and if it doesn't work, I'll move to the next one, and than Luis's. :) Thanks again guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score

I had the same problem and I found that I had to run this script on the thunderbird mail files first. Once this was done they imported into mail.app without any issue.

Grez..

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there,

Take care,

Luis
Sorry, but I tried this and like before it only imported 1 mail message fro Inbox and 1 for Sent Mail. What am I doing wrong?

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same problem and I found that I had to run this script on the thunderbird mail files first. Once this was done they imported into mail.app without any issue.

Grez..
Sorry, but I don't know anything about scripts.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;532614 said:
I searched and found all sorts of solutions but have decided to settle on the one given on Apple site:

Moving (non-AOL) email messages using IMAP
I started this, but this is a VERY LONG and TEDIOUS task. I had to abort. If I can't find an easier way, I'll retry this at another time.

Reaction score
I've been away so I'm catching up on this thread. Hope that the link you found ^^ solves your issue ... don't forget to check this link which is on that page too.

Eudora Mailbox Cleaner is a wonderful little utility that will let you drag your Thunderbird message databases onto its icon, and will automatically convert them to Mail message databases. It will also copy them to the proper Mail message library. All you need to do is sit back and wait for it to finish, then rebuild your Mail folders, and all your messages will appear - just follow the directions you’ll find on their website.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;536297 said:
I've been away so I'm catching up on this thread. Hope that the link you found ^^ solves your issue ... don't forget to check this link which is on that page too.
Thanks, Spawn! I used that link as well.

It worked great, without a hitch. I recommend anyone use it to convert Outlook Mail to Apple Mail.

The IMAP idea is great, but with the amount of mail I have, it would take days to convert.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.