Restoring to a single partition (sans Boot Camp)

Reaction score
I searched this topic as much as I could on the net, but never got the answer I was looking for. I won't delve into the boring details of how I got my partition this way, but I am currently running two Macintosh hard drive volumes and I want to restore it to a single volume. Since neither of the drives runs in XP, I can't use Boot Camp to restore it. I've already erased the data on the second partition to join it with the first, but I don't know how to go about doing this. I'm currently running in Tiger, but once I get back to a single partition I'll be upgrading to Leopard. Is there anyway (in simple English, please) that I can go back to having a single volume hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Partitioning a disk into several volumes
1. If you are partitioning an external hard disk, make sure it is connected to your computer.
2. In Disk Utility, select the disk that you want to partition in the list.
3. Click Partition.
4. Choose the number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu.

(If you only want one partition, then only choose one partition)

5. Click each partition and type a name for it, choose a format, and type a size. You can also drag the divider between the partitions to change their sizes.

If you will use a volume as a Mac OS 9 startup disk, select the checkbox to install the Mac OS 9 drivers. You do not need to install these drivers to use the disk with the Classic environment.

If you will use the drive on a Windows computer, click Options and choose PC Partition Scheme from the pop-up menu.
6. Click the Partition button, then click Partition again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I tried all that already. Because my startup volume is included in the partition I want to restore, Disk Utility won't let me make it a single partition again. I don't know how to go about this, however, because no matter which partition I make the startup volume, it's going to be included in the final single partition because I'm trying to encompass my ENTIRE hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
If you anyways plan to upgrade to leopard (i am assuming clean install) why dont you do it during installation. unfortunately bootcamp sometimes gives problems in restoring back to single partition. I have succeeded in doing it only once out of 4 times i tried. Rest of the time i had to do a format and reinstall.

If you want to upgrade (not complete format) leopard then you can use the existing Mac partition to install leopard using upgrade or A&I option. Thereafter make a time machine backup of the Mac partition and then do a clean install. You restore everything using TM backup. That way you dont loose anything. Might sound a lengthy process but anyhow you might end up spending same amount of time on other options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You need to start up from your install disc and run Disk Utility from that, not your startup volume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.