Disappointed after try ibook G4 myself

M

mac*

Sorry for that :(
today, iwent to one apple reseller,played around with all of the ibook,and power book;however i found the screen quality is not that good,especially for12inch :( even i have ask one staff turn the contrast to highest,but still found the characters are not showing clearly;Then i went to another apple center, compared ibook 12' and 14" with other PC laptop(nearly same prize), i found the PCs screen shows much better,eg,more bright, good contrast,all the characters are pretty good,i know this is a mac forum, sorry for that :p ,and i am really love mac, i even brought the money with me today(buy it at once :D )
So all the ibook owner, do you find that? or Are there any way for resolving that?

OP
M

MoltenLava

The windows on OS X are anti aliased. i.e. There is no jagged lines anywhere on the screen. Some people may confuse the smooth screen as being fuzzy. Anti aliased screen is actually a lot more advanced than standard 2D rendered screen. PC people are not used to those luxury, so they have hard time getting used to it.

OP
I

ibook911

Yes, I notice this. It bothers me somewhat, but you get used to it very quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I had the same impression with my PowerMac when I started using it (connected to a TFT-screen). It's like MoltenLava said, it's due to the anti-aliasing of the screen, especially the fonts.
You can get a similar view if you turn on ClerType on Windows...but it's even more disturbing, because not well made.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. ;)

OP
M

mac*

i think some web using black color for characters, but when i using ibook to visite thoes web, i found the the black is not as black when i using my PC screen :confused:

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Yes, it is very noticable. I am a web designer, and it makes a pretty big difference. They do this to save battery life, it is not as bright. Its a give and take I guess. It doesn't bother me much, because I don't design on my laptop, I only use it for surfing and what not.

The powerbooks, are brighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Have you calibrated the display using the Display Calibrator in System Preferences? There are numerous adjustments that can be made using this utility, which should allow you to change the display appearance to your liking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Well, I must be utterly clueless because our school has 3 Mobile iBook Labs and I haven't noticed anything! Hmm..... Oh well. Good for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well on this forum for example, I also find the colour of the writing in your posts to be darkish grey on the pc im currently on, and on the ibook it is light grey...

But apart from that minor quirk, the display is fine..

Btw you can turn off the anti-aliasing for fonts if you want..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple: Go to system preferences, select 'appearance' and at the bottom you have the option: 'turn off font smoothing for fonts smaller than:' In the drop down box, select font-size 12 (standard size) and anti-aliasing is switched off (sort of).

This only applies to fonts though...

It's kind of like a retro-windows mode for your mac!

Reaction score
You can always set font smoothing to: ClearType fonts on the Windows , then compare it with the iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
I use Cleartype, and I like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then you are one very lucky guy...

OP
C

cfgt2001

I'm also using ClearType, but I believe the Mac font smoothing is much better. :D It seems more natural to me in most cases. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.