Setting up 2 MACs with 1 Laserjet Printer

Reaction score
Hello,

I am jumping into something I shouldn't be trying but oh well. My problem is below. One thing I need to let everyone know is I am completely new to MACs and am trying to fix this problem for a small business. I only have experience with PC's windows based. (I know, I know) I don't know anything about where to find the settings for printers, IP address, MAC lingo or anything on a MAC. You can pretty much assume I've never used a MAC.

Here are the specs.

1 MAC with OS 9.1
1 MAC with OS 9.0 or 9.1 ??
1 HP Laserjet 5000n Printer
1 DLink Hub

When they attempt to print from the computers it gives them an error message saying that the "Printer Cannot be Found".

What do I need to do in order to go into each computer and make sure the settings are correct? Is there anything I would need to check on the Laserjet settings?

Is there a easy step by step guide I can read? I have searched google but a lot of the ones that I read have a PC involved. I need one for 2 MACS.

Also, I remember from somewhere there was a website that had several screenshots of the different OS's. You could click on whatever you wanted and it would take you to another screen shot. It was almost like a simulator? Does anyone have links for something like this?

I'm sorry for sounding so dumb, I want to learn about MACs and plan on doing but its hard when you don't have one.

Thanks for any help in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First off, MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control which is a sublayer of one of the layers of the OSI 7-layer model which describes how network protocols work.

Mac is short for Macintosh.

With that said - are you positive that these Macs are both running OS 9.x? OS 9 is ancient - like, Windows 98 ancient. Mac OS X (10), has been out since 2001. If this is true, chances are very good that there might not even be an available driver since OS 9 is hopelessly outdated.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry about the abbreviation on Mac. Lol

Yea they have OS 9.xx on them. There is a driver on HP's site for a driver.

But my question is what settings do I need to check on a Mac to make sure everything is ok? Where are they at? What are they called? Where can I find this info at (guide anywhere on the net you have a link for?) I couldn't find any.

I figured since this was a Mac forum someone might have some info on hand bookmarked or maybe just stored in their head? Kinda like I have alot of Windows settings, names of things, where things are located.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.