Battery Preservation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2ghz Macbook w/ 2GB Ram, 160GB HD...2GB iPod Nano...30GB iPod Video
Hey all,

Im a recent switcher from PC, and so far I love everything about my macbook. Typically my macbook sits on my desk at home, and because of this, it stays plugged in. I have heard mixed comments about this. Some say it is best to leave it plugged in, others say let it drain, then recharge it, while the third group says to remove the battery entirely!

I dont want to remove the battery, so scratch that one off the list. What is the best practice to keep the battery in optimal condition?

I also read that the calibration technique http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Is actually harmful to the battery life. It is used for the memory chip in the laptop to correctly report the remaining amount of battery life. Is this true?

As you can probably tell, I'm a little overwhelmed with this, as I mentioned I love the macbook, just dont want to ruin the battery!

All help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I just do what I feel like doing and my battery is fine. Just a little performance decrease since two years ago when I bought my iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I typically don't plug it in after being used if its hot. I'll shut it down, let it sit on my desk for a few hours, then plug it in to recharge it. My battery shows 6+ hours (which is really like 3+). So I guess it could stand to be calibrated.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
when the macbooks battery reaches 100% when connected to the AC the macbook will stop charging the battery so there is no worrie about leaving it plugged in. When im home i always just plug my macbook in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
A quick summary of the ways you can damage your battery:
1. Using it
2. Not using it
3. High temperatures
4. Low temperatures

In short, your battery will not last forever. New ones are about $130. Expect to buy one sometime in the next three to four years. In the meantime, don't sweat it.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Nice summary, technologist!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2ghz Macbook w/ 2GB Ram, 160GB HD...2GB iPod Nano...30GB iPod Video
Yeah thanks technologist. That is the answer I was looking for :)
I'll just go back to enjoying my mac :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.