Dock Stack display

Reaction score
Sorry, another question.

Is it correct that the stacks ie downloads & documents shoe the image of the items in them in the dock instead of them showing folders with contents sticking out the top. Mine is replacing the folder look with whatever is actually in the folders !!..

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, but if you put folders in the corresponding stacks it then still shows in the dock as it should ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
These things are freaking fantastic!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
There's nothing to it. That guide is if you want to create your own icons instead of the ones that are provided (also to show you how they did it). Just have to download the zip file, extract it, and drop the icon you want in the stack. The icon date is already set to Jan 2020 or something so you don't have to configure. Only make sure your stack is set to show from "Date Modified". Even in your "Downloads" stack which is defaulted at "Date Added", you will have to change that to "Date Modified".

If you want to sort by "Name", then change the name of the stack icon to "000" or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Someone suggested putting everything you want in a dock stack in a folder (which I already have done) and then making an alias of that folder and putting that in the Dock. Apparently the alias will not turn into a stack and you can once again have folders for Apps in your Dock. I have not tried this, but will when I get home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey that was me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well hey, I'm going to give it try when I get home!

Sorry, I couldn't remember who it was that posted it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well I tried it but the stack still looks like the standard folder.
What am I doing wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to change the folder, just change the icon.

I tried the alias in the Dock thing. It works but you can't right click and get the pop up menu of icons like you could in Tiger. Still not the answer I'm looking for.

OP
G
Reaction score
As soon as I drag the downloaded folders to the dock they look like the hlders as they should. But when they have something in them they change appearance and take on the look of their contents rather than the contents being shown as being inside the folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you take a look at that link I gave on top? It creates icons which reside in the folders, but since their date is way ahead, they always show in front.

Reaction score
Been trying to do this without much luck. If I drop the icon in the folder, viewing from the Dock it just has a circle with a strike through it. I've also tried changing the folder icon through the "Get Info" window but that doesn't show in the Dock either. What am I doing wrong?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Been trying to do this without much luck. If I drop the icon in the folder, viewing from the Dock it just has a circle with a strike through it. I've also tried changing the folder icon through the "Get Info" window but that doesn't show in the Dock either. What am I doing wrong?

Same here but found a fix for me at least. First say with the Download folder, I dropped the new Download icon into the drawer. The Circle with the strike came up. Then I removed the folder from the Dock by dragging it off and letting go. Then I re-added the Download folder to the Dock and the new Icon showed up and works great. Same with my Documents folder.

Try it.

Oh and thanks goobimama for the URL. Never got around to trying it till today. It looks so good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.