installing leopard with brand new primary H-Drive

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been trying to install leopard on my 'hand me down g5' which was hard drive-less when i recieved it. I ordered a copy of leopard and a 250gb seagate barracuda Hard drive (from scan computers - a pc parts store) I plugged in my new hard drive inserted the os disk and started her up.....i got the apple logo, then a spinning mac 'I'm busy' swirly mouse thing. Then a grey screen. And that's it, no more anything, just the optical drive ticking away.....until i turned it off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Tom
PS i have a powermac g5 dual 1.8 june 04

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Is the hard drive detecting? While booting press the Option key to see what drives are in there... (I'm just guessing here)

OP
T
Reaction score
Cheers! done that and, no - it's not detecting the hard drive, I'm going to try and format it with the mac file system as i suspect that it's formatted for a pc....
btw, I've tried booting from the cd so i can format the hard drive, but nothing happens. I've tried pressing 'c' and then tried option and selecting (the only option) the optical drive and I am left with the same result (except I still have the swirly mouse pointer thing and a grey screen, and the optical drive ticking over)
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Try booting your OS X disc from an external hard drive cause it seems like your Drive/DVD is gone a bit wonky.

To do that, you will have to launch Disk Utility, and then "restore" the OS X disc onto the external drive.
Then while booting press option and boot from the external drive.
Of course, you will need access to another mac to do this...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like goobimama said there might be an issue with the internal DVD drive and reading the Leopard DVD. Is this your only Mac?

OP
T
Reaction score
yep it's my only mac :(
I have PC's which i could attempt to attach the superdrive that's in there to and see if there's anything wrong with it? and vice versa I could put one of my PC DVD/CD drives into the mac?

(i'd feel a bit dirty doing either of those though :) like trying to get your cat and your dog to get it on)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.