My MacBook Pro won't shutdown

Reaction score
If I got to Apple, then shutdown, it acts like it is shutting down and the screen goes black but the hard drive and fans are still spinning which ends up draining the battery worse than just putting it in sleep mode. I can force it to turn off using the power button but thats kind of annoying. This issue appears to have come with Leopard but could just be a coincidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
make sure you do a software update. by going to the apple button and clicking software update. it could be an issue that they are fixing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I had the same problem with mine. I also has an issue where it wouldn't go to sleep either It's not software related, apparently. I took mine to the Apple store and after they did everything possible software-related they ended up completely replacing the logic board.

The problem actually ended up coming back, but I haven't taken it in again as I can't afford to lose my computer for a week again right now.

Reaction score
have any of you guys found a solution yet?

I am currently having the same problem.

the thing is, for me, the problem does not happen all the time.
sometimes it shuts down properly and other times the screen goes blank, but it acts as if it asleep. I have to do a force install by holding the power button

i've done a clean reinstall of leopard a few times and upgraded patches but it is still there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Still happens to me too. It seems to only happen if I go too long without a complete shutdown. I deal with it by making sure I shut down every couple of days, but I'm not happy about it.

Reaction score
I unexpectedly fixed the problem.

A few weeks ago, after trying everything, I gave up and decided go backwards by reinstalling Tiger. Once I did that, things started running well once again. I got the latest patches on Tiger and reinstalled the programs.
Even though it was shutting down properly once again, I stilled yearned for the Leopard.
Then I decided to give it one last try.

Before, everytime I did a "clean" installation of leopard (including the very first time I installed it), I always chose to do format my drive completely when installing leopard because I liked the feeling of being "fresh". I would back up all my files on an external hard drive. I had not actually done a "regular" upgrade. For some reason, everytime I chose to format it completely, the shutdown problem was always there.

This time, I did a regular upgrade, I have had no problems at all.

Now, every since I reinstalled Tiger, updated and installed all programs and patches, then installed Leopard (and choosing update, NOT archive or format) then it has been working properly.

So basicly, Do a completely SWEEP by installing TIGER, Upgrading all patches and installing all your programs, then do a simple installing UPGRADE with Leopard (not archive or format).

That is what worked for me. If you have tried everything and have nothing to lose, then maybe this might work for you. I hope this works

OP
M
Reaction score
Thats a lot of work, I think I'll stick with my holding down the power button solution for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
This could be a application that is stopping it to sleep/shutdown.

I had it on a couple of Windows laptops. One program used a modem and if running in the background it would not allow the system to shutdown/sleep. I also had it where a piece of software would not allow the system to sleep/shutdown. The only way I could fix it was to look in the event viewer and see which app was denying this action, I then disabled it in services.

Not much help on the Mac but I would bet my last dollar that this is the issue on the Mac.

Is there anything like the 'Event Viewer' on the Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.