Can you install Windows Vista retail version on two computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
I have an iMac and a Macbookpro, I just wonder if I buy a full retail version vista, can I install on both of my computer? Or do I need to buy 2 copies, it is very expensive, I really want to avoid buying 2 copies. Anyone here with a suggestion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, both legally and technically. Legally because you are only buying a single license, which can only be used on a single machine. Technically because Windows has an activation program that prevents you from installing the same key on more than one machine.

Instead of buying retail, you should look into buying OEM copies as they are FAR cheaper than the retail option. In some cases, two OEM licenses might cost less than a single retail copy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an iMac and a Macbookpro, I just wonder if I buy a full retail version vista, can I install on both of my computer? Or do I need to buy 2 copies, it is very expensive, I really want to avoid buying 2 copies. Anyone here with a suggestion?

You can install it on one machine. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
There are other differences in the terms of the license for OEM, as in if you purchase it, you are responsible for your own support (intended for system builders and retailers like Dell that provide their own support). Also, the OEM license is tied to the machine it is installed on, can not be transferred.

Unlike Retail licenses which can be transferred from one machine to another and are also a lot more flexible for people who continually upgrade their systems. No issues when changing motherboards, or graphics cards etc.

Just my 2 cents worth

Thanks a lot. Well, I can't change my iMac and MBP motherboard anyway. Therefore it doesn't really matter to meet.

I will still be using my beloved Leopard anyway most of the time. I just wanted to have a backup, and I also like to experience Vista, so the support is not important to me, should there be any hassle, I will just dump them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP| 2.33 15" |2 Gig|320 GiG 7200 rpm |256 MB X1600
There are other differences in the terms of the license for OEM, as in if you purchase it, you are responsible for your own support (intended for system builders and retailers like Dell that provide their own support). Also, the OEM license is tied to the machine it is installed on, can not be transferred.

Unlike Retail licenses which can be transferred from one machine to another and are also a lot more flexible for people who continually upgrade their systems. No issues when changing motherboards, or graphics cards etc.

Just my 2 cents worth

Hmm I have never purchased a retail version of any OS and I have never had any problems in getting support, or transferring it to different computers which I have done several times with the three different copies (OEM) of XP that I have purchased. Are you basing your comments on hearsay or have you ever really tried yourself , I speak from personal experience and in fact the copy I have installed via boot camp on the MPB I am typing this response from. Transfered it from a strictly windows machine through MS support to activate it . With operating systems Retail = wasted money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.