macjanitor, onyx, or...?

K

kathleen

I have a Powerbook and know that I need a program such as MacJanitor, etc., to keep it running smoothly. I have also gathered from reading here that I need to do something with repair permissions, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Is there a program that will do all this maintenence for me automatically? I don't want to have to remember to do all of it on schedule. I also don't know enough about computers to know what to do. Is there a good program that will take care of it all without me having to think about it? I hope this makes sense, and thanks.

kathleen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
kathleen said:
I have a Powerbook and know that I need a program such as MacJanitor, etc., to keep it running smoothly. I have also gathered from reading here that I need to do something with repair permissions, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Is there a program that will do all this maintenence for me automatically? I don't want to have to remember to do all of it on schedule. I also don't know enough about computers to know what to do. Is there a good program that will take care of it all without me having to think about it? I hope this makes sense, and thanks.

kathleen

I always highly recommend OnyX. While it won't do the maintenance automatically in the background, it does allow you to perform all the necessary tasks with a single click.

Repairing permissions is something that can be done using the Disk Utility application that comes with OS X, but OnyX will also do it for you.

There isn't really a set "schedule" that you have to worry about. I normally just execute everything using OnyX once every few weeks. If you keep your machine on 24/7 (without letting it sleep or shut down), OS X will actually run the maintenance scripts itself in the wee hours of the morning, but most people either shutdown or sleep their computers when they aren't using them.

OP
G

ghenrytaylor

I agree with Padawan, Onyx is my personal pick. There are others, Yasu, and as Whiteshark will soon tell you, you can run crons from terminal and repair permissions from Disc Utility. I've used them all for a time as a test and I chose Onyx, you may like something else. Whatever you choose, good luck on your Mac experience, and feel free to ask questions here, everyone is glad to help, they've certainly helped me more than I could ever hope for (yeah, ended in a prep.).
Henry

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
There is nothing wrong with keeping a laptop (or any computer) on 24/7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use Cocktail and like it.

OP
C

Cloudane

If you do leave a laptop on 24/7, remove the battery (so that it doesn't sit and waste recharge cycles) and make sure the display turns off after a set time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Terminal cron (if you want): sudo sh /etc/daily -Each week and each month, weekly in place of daily, and of course monthly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.