The Incredible Machine

Reaction score
There's this amazing game that I used to play all the time when I was a child - it's called "The Incredible Machine". Does anybody know it? Anybody still play it? I searched for it on Google, but only found links to newer versions quite different to the one I'm used to.

Any ideas on where I could purchase the old version, or maybe even get it for free??

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to proper forum - Not just anything goes in Anything Goes*

For abandonware games for the Mac OS (pre-OS X), check out the Macintosh Garden. Look in the alphabetical list, one of the versions seems to be there. If the version you are looking for isn't there, chances are it isn't abandonware and a company somewhere still owns the rights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
For abandonware games for the Mac OS (pre-OS X), check out the Macintosh Garden. Look in the alphabetical list, one of the versions seems to be there. If the version you are looking for isn't there, chances are it isn't abandonware and a company somewhere still owns the rights.

The thing to note about games on Macintosh Garden is they only work if you have a pre-OSX machine or you have Classic installed. That means if you have a new intel-mac or Leopard, you can't play them.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep, I mentioned it in my post. Good that you repeat it in case it was noticed by the reader before.

I dunno if SheepShaver allows those old games to run on OS X systems?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5: DualQuad Pro, Quad Pro, MacBookPro 15", MacBookPro 17", MacBookAir
Wow. über-late reply, but for the record:

I was the developer for the Mac version of TemIM. I have been kicking around the idea of resurrecting the code and coming up with a playable version of the game on the latest Macs (i.e. Universal Binary). My obstacles would be: Waiting until I'm fully moved in to crack open my ancient code archives, having enough time with school breathing down my neck, figuring out how to handle the 640x480 limitation (scaling, full-screen, etc.), and making sure that I can actually release it for free (with Activision's blessing). This summer'd probably be a good time .. I'll fire off an email to Activision soon and see what they think.

Reaction score
The incredible machine

As, apparently, the right moment never came I suggest you install virtualbox and a nice windows os (XP is good enough) and run the incredible machine there.
As for the modest system requrements to modern standards it should run fast as ****.
Or, if you are a proper Mac-addict you should have an iPad by now.
The developers did your job and recompiled it for iPad ( I can´t tell if its´s properly done, as I don´t have an iPad, but for less than $3 it´s yours, Though the greedy *******s hold up their hand again if you want to move up a level.But to get a first impression its a modest sum)

Wow. über-late reply, but for the record:

I was the developer for the Mac version of TemIM. I have been kicking around the idea of resurrecting the code and coming up with a playable version of the game on the latest Macs (i.e. Universal Binary). My obstacles would be: Waiting until I'm fully moved in to crack open my ancient code archives, having enough time with school breathing down my neck, figuring out how to handle the 640x480 limitation (scaling, full-screen, etc.), and making sure that I can actually release it for free (with Activision's blessing). This summer'd probably be a good time .. I'll fire off an email to Activision soon and see what they think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.