iPod Touch battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I bought an iPod Touch from an Apple store about a week and a half ago, and had to return it and exchange it for a new one because I felt that it might have been faulty - I was using it only to listen to music, not even with the volume fully up, with no WiFi on, and it was lasting for 2 hours maximum. The exchange was no problem, but I'm now finding that the replacement is doing pretty much the same thing. Surely this can't be right. I've Googled it countless times and read posts both here and on other forums.. I can't figure out at all what I'm doing wrong, but the battery life is just unacceptable. I have a two hour round-trip train journey to university every day - and by the time I get home, after listening to my iPod only on the train, the battery is either completely dead or I get the warning messages that it is almost out of battery.

Any advice appreciated! If I can't get it sorted I'll have to just take it back and buy a Classic or something, which I know will have decent battery life. I really like the Touch but I can't justify keeping it if it's going to be like this forever.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Do you let the display sleep?
Are you running any hack services?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I bought an iPod Touch from an Apple store about a week and a half ago, and had to return it and exchange it for a new one because I felt that it might have been faulty - I was using it only to listen to music, not even with the volume fully up, with no WiFi on, and it was lasting for 2 hours maximum. The exchange was no problem, but I'm now finding that the replacement is doing pretty much the same thing. Surely this can't be right. I've Googled it countless times and read posts both here and on other forums.. I can't figure out at all what I'm doing wrong, but the battery life is just unacceptable. I have a two hour round-trip train journey to university every day - and by the time I get home, after listening to my iPod only on the train, the battery is either completely dead or I get the warning messages that it is almost out of battery.

Any advice appreciated! If I can't get it sorted I'll have to just take it back and buy a Classic or something, which I know will have decent battery life. I really like the Touch but I can't justify keeping it if it's going to be like this forever.

Thanks.

How many times have you charged the battery? I have owned 6 or 7 different ipods over the years and have found that sometimes you have to charge it 5-10 times befor you will get the full power of your battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Mine does the same thing. I'm hoping it gets better over time. I let it run completely dead Saturday and then charged it fully. But I watched 1/2 hour movie today and have been listening to music for about an hour and the battery is already back down to half.

My old 8GB Nano would last for days and days...

T

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Thanks for your replies.

I had charged my first one quite a few times and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. This one has only been charged three times so far, but just as an experiment today, I charged it fully and since posting this thread earlier, I left it on to play, again with no WiFi and with the screen on sleep, and when I checked it had played 55 tracks and was displaying the message, '20% battery remaining'.

I've noticed that if I shut it down and start it back up again, the battery level can drop significantly even from doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
hmmm thats a faulty. i can run my touch for a while and it being good. is your brightness all the way down? that helps significantly with battery

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm thats a faulty. i can run my touch for a while and it being good. is your brightness all the way down? that helps significantly with battery

I'm just thinking about the likelihood of me getting two that are faulty. Both that I've had have been pretty much the same. My brightness isn't all the way down, but it's about half way. I also have 'auto brightness' on (although I've never noticed it changing the brightness of the screen).

I think I might just return it and buy a Classic instead, which is a shame because I really like the way the Touch works, but it's just not practical with battery life like this.. Does anyone know if the iPod Classic's screen is made of the same material that the Touch's screen is? And also is it as bright as the Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Did the second one come from the same store the first one did? Its possible that if you got them both at the same store they could have had a shipment of touches with bad batterys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.