sawtooth with dual cpu

Reaction score
right now i have a 400mhz cpu, and i cant watch videos/ "movie files" on the computer with out it chopping, if i upgraded to dual 500mhz cpu that came out of a gigabite mac, would that be enough to watch "movie files" through quicktime? if so is there a app or website that will tell me if i can add dual cpus out of a gigabit? if not either one what kind of processor would be good enough to watch movies? would a 1ghz be fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. There's no need to pump a post that quickly.

2. This depends on what size you are wanting to play the videos in. My suggestion would be to take your video. Open it up in quick time. And play it with smaller and smaller window sizes till you can get it not choppy. I could get a decent size of my old 333mhz imac before it would go choppy. And I believe a dual 500 mhz would really improve this. I'm not 100% certian how well it'd do full screen movies. It should be ok for you I think.

Why I can't give you a more in depth answer is I have owned many macs of all kinda up till my 333mhz imac. And it lasted me so long that when it was getting a little slow for my liking (but still works now great), the C2D imacs were in and I got one of those. So I've owned no mac in the 400mhz-1.9ghz range.

And a dual 500mhz mac will not give the same performance as a single chip 1ghz one.

M

MacHeadCase

Please refrain from bumping your thread for at least a 24-hour period.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.