Secure Wifi... How?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Based in the UK with Boardband wifi connection (apple express), via Virgin but didnt come with any WEP or WPA passwords. Now, im not sure if this is correct but I have enabled a password via WPA thru system pref. but I can tell whether it is working. I log off airport, log back in but I am not asked for a password. Also I noticed the password I did set is no longer there.

Can someone help me secure my wifi connection and also "close" the network so that my named network is hidden from view? And whatever suggestions anyone has... Would it be preudent to contact my boardbnd supplier?

Cheers
S

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Your password is likely saved in your keychain so you don't have to enter your (presumably) long and difficult WPA key every time you want to connect. It is strange that the password you entered isn't displayed (you are talking about within System Prefs, right?). Try resetting your password in System Prefs. I am unfamiliar with the way you are connecting...to troubleshoot I'd try connecting to your network with a different computer to see if a password is requested.

You don't need to hide your network. Once your WPA key is in place, that'll be all you need. If someone wants to find a network, hiding yours won't deter them. It will just end up inconveniencing you if you lose your connection, want to reconnect, and can't find it in your list because you didn't broadcast it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, i go thru system pref. than network, select the correct network name (where it shows security), then i edit and place a password. However, when I try to get bk into network via sys pref. i have to confirm keychain access for permission to the network. Does this sound about right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, it sounds correct. The system is asking your permission for that app to access the keychain data,

Reaction score
Hi, to find out if your network is password protected run the network setup assistant. Run through and select your own network, if you are protected it will ask you for a password! ;) also, usually you can find your wep number on the bottom of your modem!

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, rebooted the computer and the password had vanished. Followed the network setup and defo no password was required.

Thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.