So scared I have been hacked or something, please help!

L

lovemycoffee

Hi....I have OSX 10.3.4. I got one of those spoof emails from eBay and I clicked on the link (yes, I am an idiot)...thank God, I didn't fill out any of the questions though.

I went to eBay's message boards and from what I read, I could get a trogan horse virus or something where they could see all my keystrokes? I changed my ebay and my internet passwords right away, but if they can see what I am doing, that will not do me any good, right?

I have a Lynksis router and I think that has a firewall, but I did not know till today that my OS firewall was off by default.

I need some advice, I am scared to death, PLEASE HELP! Thanks :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
If your on OS X, your safe. There are two trojan horses for Mac OS X, and the security holes have been patched (sort of).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Update to 10.3.5 As soon as you can

OP
L

lovemycoffee

Absolute Zero said:
If your on OS X, your safe. There are two trojan horses for Mac OS X, and the security holes have been patched (sort of).

OK, so there is nothing I need to do?

I have another question, when I went to eBay to change my password, I noticed the little padlock on the bottom right was not locked, shouldn't it have been?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
When you changed your password on eBay did, you type in eBay.com into your browser or did you get there by a link?

If you typed it in, then you are ok, if you did not type it in, then you need to type it in and then change your password ASAP. You were probably a victim of XSS (Cross Site Scripting)

OP
L

lovemycoffee

Murlyn said:
When you changed your password on eBay did, you type in eBay.com into your browser or did you get there by a link?

If you typed it in, then you are ok, if you did not type it in, then you need to type it in and then change your password ASAP. You were probably a victim of XSS (Cross Site Scripting)

I can't remember, I might have gone there from my own bookmark, would that be OK? How do I get the padlock to lock when I am changing a password?

OP
L

lovemycoffee

I just thought of something else...we are on a cable with a router. We also have a PC wireless laptop...if I go on that PC, could that email infect the PC or no? I already deleted it a from my MAC a few days ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It completely depends on what type of email it is.. if it is a XSS email like I mentioned above, then it does not matter what type of computer or operating system it is.. it has to do with normal parts of web browsing. IF it is a trojan that has to be downloaded then your Mac is safe. I would say regardless of which it is, you should type in your browser http://www.ebay.com and go in and change your password.

OP
L

lovemycoffee

Murlyn said:
IF it is a trojan that has to be downloaded then your Mac is safe. I would say regardless of which it is, you should type in your browser http://www.ebay.com and go in and change your password.

I didn't actually download anything from the scam email, I just clicked on a link that took me to a fake ebay site that wanted mothers maiden name etc etc...

OK...I will go to eBay right now, I don't mean to sound redundant :), but if I am typing in my new password and that padlock is open, is that OK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it looks like EBay does not have any SSL so I guess the padlock will not be closed.. which I think ebay should do something about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.