Black Mac Book VS. White

Reaction score
Hi there, im a PC user looking to make the change to mac. im looking to buy a 13" mac book. First of all, on the website, they offer 3 versions. The only difference between the second and third option is 40 gigs of space and the black color. And its 200$ more... Does this make sense to anyone? Is there some unlisted difference between the two? Would you suggest the white or black? I dont feel like i need 160 gigs of space.

Where is the cheapest place to get a new mac? I hear amazon dosent charge tax or shipping?

Does mac allow customization to the point where i could get a black mac book with the same stats as the second version of the white mac book for the same price as the second version?

Also, is it really worth it to get the extended warranty for an extra 250$?

thank you all for your answers!

Reaction score
No, apart from the extra 40GB there is no difference between the white and black Macbooks with the same cpu and ram etc, your just paying a premium for the black finish (I personally went for the white).
Shop around I’m sure some places are slightly cheaper or will have offers (free accessories etc) If you are a student you can get a discount or an ipod nano from the Apple store.
The price listed on the Apple store is the base price of a black Macbook so you can't downgrade components only upgrade.
With Apple care you can buy it at anytime during your first year so wait up and see how it goes before buying it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook|iPod
I'd go black personally. more HD space, and it looks sleek. white sticks out and glares to much, although the white one's are very slow after a while, black stay nice and fast even when you fill up 40G anyway, battery is better in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'd go black personally. more HD space, and it looks sleek. white sticks out and glares to much, although the white one's are very slow after a while, black stay nice and fast even when you fill up 40G anyway, battery is better in my opinion.

Because it's white it gets slower??? lol AND the white ones have a bad battery???? :D:D

WOW!!

There is NO difference between white or black... it is simply the color of the case. Go to Apple's website and upgrade the specs in the white, to find out EXACTLY what you are paying for the color.

I bought the entry level model, then upgraded to 2gb of RAM and a 250gb HD myself... it is perfect, and I saved a few hundred bucks doing 10 minutes of work installing it all myself.

Reaction score
Do you like white or black

Personally i had this dilemma about 2 weeks ago. I went with the white.

First of all ask yourself what are you using it for. Do you need the extra space. Most of the time the answer is no. 120 is plenty of space for the average user.
I bought the white. Its really what mac is about. The black looks just like any other pc.

Although having the white one for 2 weeks the keyboard does get dirty quickly. But I still prefer the white over black. Especially for 125.00 less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What?

None of that makes any sense. I'd go with the white, unless you like the black color. IMHO, the price difference doesn't justify the black, it's a ripoff. You can increase hard drive or RAM in either model, it has nothing to do with the color.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
The black has a different finish to it. Its not glossy like the white macbook.
But as "schweb" says, this doesnt make sense...
You can customise any mac to your spec, now unless your eagerly wanting the black i would save myself a couple of £ and go for the white.

Mikeyman223 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Hi there, im a PC user looking to make the change to mac. im looking to buy a 13" mac book. First of all, on the website, they offer 3 versions. The only difference between the second and third option is 40 gigs of space and the black color. And its 200$ more... Does this make sense to anyone? Is there some unlisted difference between the two? Would you suggest the white or black? I dont feel like i need 160 gigs of space.

Where is the cheapest place to get a new mac? I hear amazon dosent charge tax or shipping?

Does mac allow customization to the point where i could get a black mac book with the same stats as the second version of the white mac book for the same price as the second version?

Also, is it really worth it to get the extended warranty for an extra 250$?

thank you all for your answers!
You've already noted the technical and price differences between the 2 models and realized that you do pay a premium for the black, simply because of color.

Just to reinforce what was corrected above...there are NO differences between the black and white models which are spec'd out the same. The batteries aren't different, nothing is.

That being said...

Do a search, and you'll find TONS of topics on this. It comes up just about every day. So i'll sum it up for you...People with black MB's say they love the color and are willing to pay the extra price. People with white MB's think they're stupid for paying extra cash for the same thing as the white one. So which one is right for you? I have no idea, it's personal preference. But, be informed that each does have a little quirk with respect to the finish.

The white models get dirty easy and a lot of people have issues with them staining, especially where your wrist(s) rest, and the keyboard. They can be cleaned. But some people also claim that their white MB's get yellowed and stained with or without regular cleaning. For some it seems to be unavoidable. For some, it's not an issue at all.

The black models show fingerprints very easily. They will never look pristine, unless you wipe the thing down every time you use it. If little smudges and fingerprints don't bother you, the finish is great. It won't get stained, and any finger prints wipe off in a snap with a damp cloth. If it bothers you, it will be a constant annoyance, and you'll be wiping it down multiple times a day to keep it clean.

Though, be advised that you can always get laptop protectors or films that will negate these issues altogether...maybe with the exception of the white MB keyboard.

All that being said, if you want my opinion...I bought the black one. I saw what my white Apple keyboard (for my desktop) looked like after a few months of use, and I didn't want my laptop looking like that. I didn't pay a premium for the black color, as I bought it refurbished from a 3rd party vendor. But, if I bought new, i'd spend the extra cash to get what I wanted.

Hope that helps,

-Nick

Reaction score
Just upgrade the white to a 160GB, save the money, and look like you own a Mac. (Nothing against the black ones though...well maybe lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120Gb hard drive, 2Gb ram
A lot of people have also said that the hinge on the black ones make a creaking noise, that can not be fixed. I went for the white one, because the fingerprints on the black ones are very noticeable, plus who wants to pay more for a creaky laptop. I dont mind cleaning it, plus, you can get some really nice skins that look good on the white ones.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
I'd get white. I have white but one of my friends has black, and whilst it is very sleek it gets very dusty. White will get a bit grubby but you can clean that easy enough.

Also Black tends to show up every little scratch you ever get.

Reaction score
A lot of people have also said that the hinge on the black ones make a creaking noise, that can not be fixed. I went for the white one, because the fingerprints on the black ones are very noticeable, plus who wants to pay more for a creaky laptop. I dont mind cleaning it, plus, you can get some really nice skins that look good on the white ones.....

My friends black MacBook has a squeaky trackpad button. Not that it would have anything to do with it being black, but thats just kinda strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9

Haha...The stuff you read on the internet cracks me up. So the black ones creak, but the white ones don't, huh?

They have the SAME HINGES.

-Nick

Reaction score
it all depends of what color you like they are both made out of the same parts..lol...this is a funny topic..so if i have two white macbooks and there exact the same and i put a sticker one of them that says fast on it so that means the one with the fast sticker if going to be more faster then...maybe i should do that to my macbook..

Reaction score
if hard drive space is the biggest issue you can upgrade to a 250 gig hard drive for 165$ (canadian)on the white one, so you would have a white macbook that is 35 dollars cheaper than a black and with 90 gigs more space, or you can upgrade to the 160 gig and have even more left in your pocket, IMO black macbook makes no sense unless you really dont like the white, or money is no object or you feel you need it for business and a white macbook is to flashy, but in the last two cases i would suggest a MBP so what do i know

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.