• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Firewire (?) killed my settings!

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have an iMAc and a Mac Book.
On the Macbook I used a firewire cable to connect to the my digital video camera, to try it out. All worked swimmingly. The iMovie prog controlled the camera etc, I made a test movie from the clips.
THEN.....I shut the camera down, quit iMovie and pulled the firewire plug.
Closed the laptop and went away.
10 mins later my wife asked 'What have you done to the computer?"

On return I discovered all my settings have gone, my movie is still there, all programmes are still there and pics etc.
The dock was completely as new, mail wanted to 'set up an account', Firefox doesn't know it has been used (bookmarks gone etc), all email is ....well, I dunno.
The account is still valid, but all settings and preferences are gone.
I have the indignity of typing this on a WINDOWS machine!!!!
HElp please.
My external email is [email protected] if you prefer.
Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.