Can't boot up classic

S

Solaris

i was trying to install Starcraft on my iBook and inally realized classic won't boot up. I star classic after the load bar finishes it just quits and sends me to my desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
My best guess, is you need to delete your system folder and then get a new system folder off a CD...

Wait for more responses.. mine may not be wise :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
it may not be wise, but it works

OP
S

Solaris

well i don't want os9 on here anyway. I tried deleting the os9 system and apps folder but even as root it wouldn't let me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, maybe you could go to Get info on folders and change user.. so you have privilages on that folder over the computer...? or check out Filebuddy, and just tear the thing outa your mac. Well if your computer is new and you dont have much on it, or if you do, reinstall OSX with a clean installation, back up what you have, and just never install OS9..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
why would you need classic for starcraft?

OP
S

Solaris

ok thats change subject how do i get os9 off my computer without a fresh reinstall?

OP
S

Solaris

i found out how to remove the os9 system/applications folder. Now if i remove them is that it os9 is uninstalled no more worries? Or is this not good for my computer. Leave feedback please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ide think its fine, if you go to system prefs/startup disk.. does it show OS9 listed?

OP
S

Solaris

ya it's listed there. I still havn't deleted it. This is also funny. I installed Virtual pc 6.0 and just like classic after the os loading screen it just quits like classic did. Is there something that not letting my computer boot into another os?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eem... did you restart your computer?
Hmm... there wouldn't be anything preventing specifically other OS's.. but there could be a misaligned file which is required of both..
I had trouble with Limewire, so i ran System Optimizer (outdated link removed) and its all good now.

OP
S

Solaris

Well i was on the phone with allple for about an hour. I decied to just do a clean format and reinstall. I did not install OS9 at all on this install so it doesn't matter i guess. I can run virtual PC now so it's all good. Thanks for the feed back guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
good to hear you got it working well again.

i got rid of 9 as soon as possible. the only time i suggest people use 9 is if there is no OS X alternative to something they have to have

OP
S

Solaris

i just got done downloading the following programs for osx: Macromedia Studio MX, Office X, Virtual PC 6.0, Toast Titanium 5.2.1, Limewire, Directconnect (well had those 1st to dl the other programs) i just installed Warcraft 3 to keep me busy on the train. I'm trying to get a hold of Mac VCD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had my iMac with out OS9 for a few months, but i came to programming and a guitar tuner and i just had to reinstall it (i never use it much more than 1ce a month)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.