New Here and New to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hey Everyone:)

I'm new to the Mac Fourm and not used a Mac yet:D I have a physical disability and tend to sit in front of my pc all day unless I'm out and about. I don't work, just a netjunkie, run a couple fourms like this, update my webpage and play online virtual community game.

I've been a windows pc user for 13yrs and have learnt how to maintain the pc, keeping it clean (ongoing), reformat, fix registey, add/remove applications and more. Taking the plunge to a iMac is abit scary. Right now I have this system:
HP PC
1.3GHz AMD
128 GB RAM - upgraded to 640GB RAM
40GB Hardrive
Windows XP Home
17" Monitor

I have a budget of some kind lol and I'm looking at getting an iMac 20" LCD, 2.4GHz, 320GB Harddrive, 1GB RAM (I want to upgrade to 2GB RAM).

I've been researching into Mac's since August:eek: and still debating about going for a iMac or Windows PC. The problem I think I'm more worried about is the software and the other thing is can I really afford a iMac (NZ$). Actually the other thing is I really neeed a computer that is realiable (knowing not all things are), and I won't have a ton of problems as once I spend the $$$ on a new pc and software etc, then I won't have a lot of cash left over.

These are the programs I use quite often
Microsoft Office 2003 - Word, Excel, Outlook Email
PaintShop Pro X
Animation Shop 3 (don't use as much now)
DreamWeaver - (to update my webpage)
Cute FTP - to upload webpages and such
WinRAR
Trillian with MSN, AIM messengers
Yahoo Messenger
Spyware Doctor
AVG Anti-Virus

I understand I won't need any virus/spyware protection on an iMac. Which is great as I clean my pc everyday, kinda annoying and slow process. Virus scanning takes 6-7hrs:eek: :eek: with ZoneAlarm (lots of psp tubes). The messengers I have found replacements with that can be used on iMac. I think I will go with iWork 08 as I only use word and excel for basic stuff and it's cheaper. I've asked around if iWork 08 imports and exports Microsoft Office docs and have been told, it does:)
It's the graphic program that scares me. I'm worried about how I will move from Paint Shop Pro to Adobe Photoshop (expensive) and is there a similar graphics program to paint shop pro that is a bit cheaper.

At the moment I'm trying out Safari and FireFox browsers as I won't be using IE7 on a Mac. I like them both but FireFox seems to be more like IE7.

Am I worring too much? getting to detailed info? should I just take the plunge (knowing all the above) and get the iMac. I need some convncing:Angry-Tongue:

I also need a new printer as I broke mine by accident by pulling it off the table via my wheelchair. I like the Brother multi scan/copy/print one.

I may need an external DVD/CD Drive as the drive on the side of the LCD 'maybe' hard for me to reach/access:|

I need to get a new modem router too so will make sure it be mac supported.

Also is it worth paying the extra $500 for the 24" LCD? lol maybe not with my budget

More questions I'm sure later..:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
Well if you're looking for a reliable machine, you've come to the right place. I recently switched from PC, and could not be more happy.

As for your questions, well here's my take...

I would say the learning curve of learning how to use the Mac would be relatively short. Keeping up on maintenance is relatively simple too, so I would not let that deter you from buying one.

With regard to software, pretty much everything you listed can be run on the Mac. You may want to consider getting Mac versions of most of the packages, would of course, means more money, but the majority of graphics software will run better in OS X. You may want to look into doing a cross platform upgrade for things like Dreamweaver. This means, for the cost of an upgrade, you can take your software from a PC version to Mac.

The alternative would be to set up a Windows partition via Bootcamp and run all your software from there. Ultimately, I think this defeats the purpose of getting a Mac, but if finances are a restriction, this may be your best bet. You should also be aware that the iLife suite comes with software that can be used for most of the tasks you've listed (i.e. iWeb can be used to update your webpage).

The upside is you can pretty much forget about the virus software, so this will help save you some $$$.

As for the internet browsers, I think, after some time, you will find Firefox much better than IE. If you don't like it, there are always alternatives like Safari or Camino to consider.

As for the additional hardware you mentioned, I don't think you'll have an issue finding anything that's Mac compatible, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And, if you have the extra money, I would definitely go for the 24" monitor. The screen is huge, which makes multi-tasking a lot easier. And with Leopard's Spaces, it's even better.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions. Good luck!

Sean

Reaction score
And, if you have the extra money, I would definitely go for the 24" monitor. The screen is huge, which makes multi-tasking a lot easier. And with Leopard's Spaces, it's even better.

I agree with everything Sean said ^ and if you are watching a DVD then the 24" screen would be pure magic!

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks chaunce322 for all the information:) and Spawn__Dooley.

I have the time to learn a new operating system(OS) so that's not a problem.

Yea I would have to buy a few programs like dreamweaver, photoshop, and iWork 08. If I can find some website design programs similar to dreamweaver that are free, that would save money. All my website pages are done in dreamweaver and I like how I can either design my page is design (picture mode), code mode or split mode (design and code). Would any of the free web design programs open my pages?

I think I will stick to photoshop since it's similar to paintshop pro.

I will stay away from using windows on an iMac as I too see it defeating the purpose of getting an iMac, I also would have to buy Windows XP OS since I wasn't given a copy with my HP pc.

Having to do less or no maintaince on the iMac is one of the main reasons I like macs as well as them looking smart lol

Question: If I got a D-Link modem/router 4 port (meaning I can hook up more than 1 pc), can I hook up my old HP pc to the modem and network it to the iMac?

I'm just wondering if I get an iMac and keep my old pc, I can do my graphics and webpage pages on my old pc, and then email them to the iMac OR if the networking isn't such a good idea or won't work - save them to a DVD and copy the updated webpages and any new graphics from DVD to iMac folders..

I will also research iLife with its iWeb program and see how that would work.

I think I will stick to 20" LCD

Reaction score
Hello Kiwi, I know exactly how you feel. I am 15 years old and have used windows the past 5 years at least.

I have always been great with computers and right now i am big on graphic designing and web designing. My parents, for christmas, are deciding to buy me the 24" iMac and with my own money i am going to upgrade it to 4gigs of ram.

My advice to you... if you don't have more than 5 windows open at a time or you don't watch dvd's regularly, don't spend that extra $500 on the bigger screen. As for me, i always have at least 5 IM windows open, itunes, photoshop, myspace/facebook all that teenage junk so i wil probably benefit from the larger screen.

you probably are thinking, boy what a spoiled kid ^^

thats ok though haha since i don't just use my computer for crap stuff, i actually am working towards getting a job as a graphic designer/web page designer.

You will also find that most software nowadays is being made compatible with mac's.

And as for your Paint Shop Pro Situation... There is a cheap solution to this,Photoshop Elements 4.0

Now, i'm not sure what you do with your PSP but elements should be a good all around image editing program. but if you are looking into graphic designing. I think photoshop is the way to go. You can try to look for deals on eBay for the software as i'm sure many people are selling off serial keys for the program.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...e/shop_mac/software/pro_design&nplm=TH340LL/A
theres a link to photoshop elements 4.0

You should be fine with Safari as your browser but mozilla will also do the trick if you want something different.

Dreamweaver is compatible with mac. You should send an email to support to see if you can trasnfer over your dreamweaver from your pc to your mac since it is a pretty expensive program.

You won't be needing any alternatives to those spyware progrms either... =D

good luck with your new mac!!!

Hope my essay of a response helped. (if only i could put that much effort into my school papers)

T

todd51

Hey Kiwi, glad your interested exploring the world of OSX. The learning curve definitely isn't that hard at all. IF you do get confused we're always here to help and there are a TON of books and online tutorials on Apple's website on how to learn the OS.

As many of the other's have mentioned, there are many programs that will work for you to take care of all your daily tasks. Of course you can get Microsoft Office on the Mac, and sounds like your going to move towards Photoshop. Dreamweaver is also available if you can get the serial transferred easily. If not I hear that a program called Rapidweaver is pretty good. It costs money also but I don't think it's as expensive as Dreamweaver. Here are some other equivalents for the software you mentioned:

Cute FTP - Try using Fugu or CypberDuck FTP. Dreamweaver also has it's own built-in FTP client.
WinRAR - Stuffit
Trillian with MSN, AIM messengers - AdiumX is like Trillian, it can connect to Yahoo, AIM, and MSN

As far as web browsers go, I'm sure you'll be happy with Safari once you get used to it. If not, there is also Firefox or Camino.

Have fun with the new Mac if you decide to take the plunge!! :)

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried out Photoshop Elements 6 but it doesn't open up any of my paintshop pro tubes, and is missing a few things I like that paintshop pro and photoshop have. Basically I make avatars, banners, add borders to photos and make graphics for fun. I also resize my digital photos down as they are huge after I transfer them from camera.

And as for your Paint Shop Pro Situation... There is a cheap solution to this,Photoshop Elements 4.0

I'm interested in Rapidweaver, but can't seem to find any screenshots of it, as I can't try it out on my windows pc. Anyone know of any sites that have screenshots?

I asked Apple if I could try an iMac for 3 days, but they are selling there mac's like hotcakes so don't have any, otherwise they would have let be try one.

After reading some threads here, I have decided if I get an iMac, I will get the extra ram from possably MagnumMac as it's cheaper. I won't be getting the warrenty either unless I think it's really needed (will see how it goes over the 12 months).

I will also get iWork if I like it after using it on the iMac for 30days

Basically I use my PC for surfing the net, emails, on the odd times I download music, use word and excel (when needed) and update my website using dreamweaver (again when needed..not often at all). I do have all the SIMs games for a PC, but rarely play these anymore. I even have the SIMS2 but don't play that anymore.

I'm not a PC gamer, I'm not a PC builder either. I just want a decent computer that will multi task and be more faster than what I have now and last 4-5yrs.

I've been looking at a PC and getting more specs added than what I actually need right now, thinking for the future. It costs NZ$2,000.00

Processor:: Intel Core Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667 RAM
Hard Drive: 320GB SATA ll HDD (7200 rpm)
Graphics Card: 512MG GeForce 8500GT PCI Express
LCD: 20” LCD ADC Widescreen
and some other basic specs eg dvd, Win XP Home

If I get this *Processor: Intel Duo 2 E6750 (2.66GHz) the cost will be $100 less

or I go with the 20" 2.4GHZ iMac which costs NZ$2,298.00 plus the additional software I need

What I'm trying to work out is what specs I really need and which would be a better system computer for me for the next 4-5yrs knowing I will have to buy another pc then..sighs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.