eclipse does not run in leopard?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new in using Mac OS, I just bought a mac pro. I use eclipse a lot for C++ programming. I just downloaded Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, and after decompressing the file, I tried to run the Eclipse.app, and it doesn't do anything, I don't even see it running in the Activity Monitor.

Is there anything that should be configured?; according to the eclipse readme file, It should be pretty much just copying the Eclipse folder into the Applications folder, and executing the file.

Any input as how to fix it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Adan

Reaction score
If you need a stop-gap you could try this:

Intellij

I found this tidbit on my travels:

As predicted, Eclipse on 64-bit Java in Leopard runs afoul of SWT/Carbon incompatibility. However, Leopard provides both 32-bit and 64-bit JavaVMs (and launches the 32-bit VM by default), so Eclipse runs just fine.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Eclipse works for me and I am running Leopard - mind you i develop in Java not C++, but that shouldnt make a difference

OP
A
Reaction score
I found this in the console log

19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) posix_spawnp("/Users/acosgaya/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-europa-fall2-macosx-carbon/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse", ...): Permission denied
19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) Exited with exit code: 1
19/11/07 9:57:09 AM com.apple.launchd[66] (com.apple.FolderActions.enabled[227]) Exited: Terminated

It seems I have to give some sort of permission. How could I do this?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
That is very strange. I am running Eclipse Europa (3.3.1.1) in Leopard without any issues.

Reaction score
I found this in the console log

19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) posix_spawnp("/Users/acosgaya/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-europa-fall2-macosx-carbon/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse", ...): Permission denied
19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) Exited with exit code: 1
19/11/07 9:57:09 AM com.apple.launchd[66] (com.apple.FolderActions.enabled[227]) Exited: Terminated

It seems I have to give some sort of permission. How could I do this?

thanks
Not sure, but you might try "sudo chmod a+x /Users/acosgaya/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-europa-fall2-macosx-carbon/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse" in case it's for some reason not executable? Maybe the archive extracted without preserving permissions.

Reaction score
my eclipse doesnt work either

So its proven.
I was running eclipse on my Mac with OS 10.4.
and I was running c++ and java programs with no problems. I could develop in both languages
I then installed Leopard. Java still works. No problems at all. But i have problems with compiling the C++ projects i had previously. Not even Hello world works

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__dof_plockstat) in load command 0

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libstdc++.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field

/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__dof_plockstat) in load command 0

make: *** [RandomPeject]

(RandomPeject is the name of my project)

I dont have any solutions to this

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.