macbook vs black macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 120 gig hd, 1 gig of ram, leopord-macbook 80 gig ipod classic
hey guys ive been lookin at laptops for a while, and basically have settled on getting a macbook. heres my question. the 2.2ghz white macbook, has a 120 gig hard drive, and the black macbook has the same processor, with the 160gig hard drive but its 200 dollars more?? is the price soley based on the fact that its black? because the upgrade from a 120 gig to a 160 gig is only 75 bucks... or am i missing something special in the blackbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Its called the black tax and yes, its because it is black

OP
DeViL wh0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 120 gig hd, 1 gig of ram, leopord-macbook 80 gig ipod classic
thanks man. anything i should know about the macbook before buying it? i know not to buy the ram from apple, im getting some from newegg.com, anything else i should get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
Haha, I don't understand paying more for a feature that simply blends your mac in with any other black dell laptop.

But that's just me.

Reaction score
yes, it is the black tax,. i agreee completely with whoever said that.

thats why xbox 360 elites are so much more expensive. just because black looks so cool

solid white and solid black are the 2 best colors for aesthetics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yep, I paid the black tax and haven't regretted it once. I really don't like the white Macbook.

Reaction score
I like the look of the blackbook but grease and dirt seem to show more on it making it shiny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 2.16GHz, 2G RAM, 120G HD
I asked the same thing too when I was buying my Mac, basically the dealer told me that they are the same, the only difference is 40G HD space and the 'Black' colour which Apple is using to represent the top of the range model. But performance wise there are no different. Therefore I went for the white book at the end.

My friend also recommended to me that Black is better resistance for scratches and everyday tears&wears, so becareful if you are buying White.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
yes, it is the black tax,. i agreee completely with whoever said that.

thats why xbox 360 elites are so much more expensive. just because black looks so cool

solid white and solid black are the 2 best colors for aesthetics

Actually, the 360 elites come with a 120GB HD, and buying a white 360 and the 120GB HD would cost more.

Reaction score
Its called the black tax and yes, its because it is black
Yup, I remember Leo Laporte saying something like "...leave it to Apple to figure out how to charge more for black...something that's standard on other laptops." LOL

I used to think that the colors on the white MacBook's display appeared more vivid than the black, as though the black was dulling the colors. Purely psychological of course, the displays are identical. But I kept thinking back to the football players putting a thick line of black under their eyes to reduce the sun's brightness.

I've noticed the keys are quieter on the black MacBooks. My local distributor agrees, but doesn't know if it's different plastic or if the black coating makes them 'clack' less.

Neither point is worth the extra money, though. And besides, I've had a few folks say I'm crazy on both counts.

I definitely agree that the matte black shows shiny greasy fingerprints much more than the glossy white.

OP
DeViL wh0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i dont exactly want to spend a penny more then i need to get what i want in my macbook and the black isnt that big of a deal for me. ill be getting the stand 2.0ghz white macbook with a 120 gig hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Plastic media is used to mold the case for the MacBook. The media is colorless or "white" in its basest form. To add color costs extra at the manufacturing level. It's not $200 more to make but there is added expense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.