Automator timing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz 2x160GB HDD 2GB RAM
I need to do one simple task, but don't know how. I searched for it, but useless. I need to do automator workflow to start my iTunes and play playlist for example one hour.
The problem is that I don't know how to do that timing, to play my iTunes playlist for specified time.

Reaction score
Well, I don't know the first part of the answer but you could create a new library just containing your playlist, set it to play but not repeat, so when it reached the end it will simply stop playing. iTunes will still be running though, so I'm not sure if you need it to quit after playing the songs.

picture_1-20071119-120244.jpg

Just hold Option as you launch iTunes and it will show the above dialogue. You can't run 2 instances of iTunes libraries AFAIK, so you need to know that, but there are many other media players out there if you did need to run another simultaneously.

If you are running Tiger you can use iCal to schedule the workflow:

• Save the Automator workflow as an application.
  • Select Add Alarm on a new or current event.
  • Select Open File: Other, and open your saved workflow application.
  • Enter the time and date that you want the workflow to run.
  • If iCal is not running at the scheduled time, the workflow will run when iCal is next opened.

You can configure iCal to launch at login if you like.

picture_2-20071119-121302.jpg

Just right-click iCals icon in your Dock and you'll see the above options.

I just went ahead and was able to create a workflow that would launch iTunes.

picture_3-20071119-122100.jpg

Next step is to 'Save As" an Application in:

Workflows ~> Applications ~> Finder

This places it in your right-click contextual menu under Automator. (not sure if the workflow only needed to be installed in Workflows ~> Apps, or not?)

picture_4-20071119-122825.jpg

Now, I'm no expert on Automator and I really only had the idea about iTunes so please understand I haven't tested this to see if it truly meets your expectations. There may be another easier way or fine tuning needed and someone else may jump in (please do) with further ideas or proven methods.

EDITED TO ADD

If you are running Leopard I just found this:

Workflow Looping

Repeat a workflow for a specified number of times or a specified time duration. No more need to save as an iCal plug-in or use the Automator Loop Utility.

OP
Edska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz 2x160GB HDD 2GB RAM
Thanks for help but I need to play iTunes for 35 minutes or 45 minutes or one hour (it just examples). Not till the iTunes playlist ends. How can I add that time in workflow?

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem ... just work it out using the time you need iTunes to play + a bunch of tunes that play for the same amount of time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.