Help! deleted boot camp partion - want data back!

Reaction score
Hello

I was running boot camp with a Windows install (NTFS?) and my Mac install - everything was fine. Then I re-partitioned to just a Mac partion ( ready to use VMWare fusion instead ) - everything is still fine.

Now two weeks later, I realise that my photo collection was on my Windows partition not the Mac partition. Duh!

Since some time has passed, and I have done other work on the mac, I realise I may have already overwritten the freed space, but I want to take my best shot at recovering the files on the NTFS partition.

What is the best approach in your experience. I have tried using FileSalvage (in trial mode) but I don't see any of my lost files.

Any recommendations appreciated.

-- Andrew

-- 2 GHz Intel Core Duo - Mac OS X 10.4.10

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Hello

I was running boot camp with a Windows install (NTFS?) and my Mac install - everything was fine. Then I re-partitioned to just a Mac partion ( ready to use VMWare fusion instead ) - everything is still fine.

Now two weeks later, I realise that my photo collection was on my Windows partition not the Mac partition. Duh!

Since some time has passed, and I have done other work on the mac, I realise I may have already overwritten the freed space, but I want to take my best shot at recovering the files on the NTFS partition.

What is the best approach in your experience. I have tried using FileSalvage (in trial mode) but I don't see any of my lost files.

Any recommendations appreciated.

-- Andrew

Sorry Andrew, but the Windows partition was NTFS format and is now HFS+ format. By definition that's reformatting. I don't think there are any files left to salvage. I've heard good things about SpinRight (didn't work for me); it's $60. Anyone else know of some miracle software?

Ironically, you didn't need to get rid of your Windows partition to run Fusion. You could have just run your BootCamp machine with Fusion. Sorry again, I hope you didn't have pictures of Sasquatch on your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You are out of luck - if the new Mac partition was formatted then any leftover data from the Windows partition that was underneath it is gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.