Favorite Windows only program

I

Icarus

assuming that you have a Mac as your primary computer, and assuming you at one point had a PC, what was your favorite program that had to give up to make the switch to Mac? For me, it was Trillian. I LOVED Trillian - still do..but only for windows. :mad: I mean, Proteus is ok, but it is no Trillian....oh well. What do you miss?

OP
M

MoltenLava

File Explorer. Finder is cute, but it's a usability nightmare if you want to navigate into deep nested folders.

Task manager. Activity monitor comes close, but it's too expensive to keep running at all times when it takes up 10MB of memory and ~10% of CPU.

Taskbar. You can see _all_ your windows at one glance, and each can be selected with one click. Exposé looks very cool, but it takes a bit more mouse navigation and clicks to select the window you want.

OP
C

Cloudane

I use both, so for me it's more "What do you switch to your PC to use?"

Well, other than games... Digiguide. It's about the only thing I miss when working on the Mac, wish they'd bring it up from "well it's on the to-do list, but near the bottom" when it comes to porting it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Half Life: Counter-Strike

OP
F

flonejek

Dude, check out Adium, its far better than trillian, (and opensource :)) and it has this ultracool duck logo!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Adium is definitely the way to go.

I like the Windows taskbar... maybe it can be ported to OS X like it was to OS 9.

OP
I

Icarus

Taskbar...yes...that's good stuff. *sigh* Windows has some good things going for it...Flonjek - you're off your rocker. Trillian is the shiznit. I love it.

OP
C

Cloudane

The taskbar is overrated... I don't actually miss it. It's only good until you have like 6 windows open, then all the names shrink and it looks ugly :p

OP
M

MoltenLava

You can easily widen/shrink the taskbar so it can accomodate all the windows and still have enough space in each to display the titles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My IRC client, but I had stopped using it anyway and there are Mac clients ;)

OP
C

Cloudane

True, you can widen the taskbar (personally I thought that looked even uglier, but I guess that's just how MS made it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I really miss the 3-D Pinball game on XP. I've tried to find a free version for Mac OS X, but it's impossible. :(

OP
J

Joeytpg

actually i missed the taskbar until i found out i could assign the exposeé functions (F9 and F11) to the corners of the screen........so that if you move the mouse to the upper right corner of the screen it works as if i used the f9 Exposee function.

and if i move the mouse pointer to the lower right corner of the screen it works as if i had pressed the F11 exposeé function. so it's GREAT...i like it more than windows taskbar.........or maybe i'm gettin' too used to it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, since I switched to the Mac, i never missed the taskbar. The Menubar, Dock and Exposé are just doing the job.
But when I am at work (Win2k PC) I miss Exposé quite often... because in the taskbar, when you have lots of windows open (even with enlarged taskbar) you never see an exact description of that program/window. Open 5 Internet Eplorer windows for example, and you can't tell one from the other. tab F9 on the Mac and you can actuallly see and recognise everything.

What I miss though is AutoCAD... If I want to do some work at home, i have to run Virtual PC, which isn't great. But i didn't find a good substitute to AutoCAD on the Mac yet. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Outside applications, i must thumping the dam Reset button when everything halts.

OP
N

Nightblade

Well, I've been a Mac user all my life, but there are a few Windows-only apps that really interest me.

Winamp--iTunes is essentially just as good, except that there are more plugins for Winamp, allowing it to play more types of audio files than iTunes. Some of the audio files cannot even be played on any Mac program whatsoever (except maybe Virtual PC emulating Winamp).

MSN Messenger 6--Face it, right now there is NO way a Mac user can have webcam and audio chats with people who only have a .net passport. Can't be done. Maybe eventually Adium or dMSN (or maybe even aMSN) will accommodate those features, but MSN 6 is still far better, especially also due to the Application Sharing feature. There's like no Mac equivalent of that in any program.

Office Clipboard--Come on, being able to have an archive (up to 12) of cuts and copies is really handy!

Kazaa/Kazaa Lite/etc.--These file sharing programs are supposed to be far better than any file sharing program on the Mac, due to the very high success rate of each chosen download as well as the speed of the downloads. I know Kazaa spies on your computer, but Kazaa Lite doesn't, and while Kazaa Lite does cost, you can just briefly get Kazaa, download Kazaa Lite, and toss away Kazaa. It's as simple as that. Then you have a great file-sharing program that doesn't spy on you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Helix Producer, it'll be great if i could find one for Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.