Favorite Windows only program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Newbin Pro (or newsleecher). There just aren't any good newsreaders for os x that do binaries. Thoth is slow as balls, and hogwasher doesn't show you a download queue...how retarded!

OP
I

Icarus

Nightblade said:
Well, I've been a Mac user all my life, but there are a few Windows-only apps that really interest me.

MSN Messenger 6--Face it, right now there is NO way a Mac user can have webcam and audio chats with people who only have a .net passport. Can't be done. Maybe eventually Adium or dMSN (or maybe even aMSN) will accommodate those features, but MSN 6 is still far better, especially also due to the Application Sharing feature. There's like no Mac equivalent of that in any program.

Office Clipboard--Come on, being able to have an archive (up to 12) of cuts and copies is really handy! - eh, not really. -

Kazaa/Kazaa Lite/etc.--These file sharing programs are supposed to be far better than any file sharing program on the Mac, due to the very high success rate of each chosen download as well as the speed of the downloads. I know Kazaa spies on your computer, but Kazaa Lite doesn't, and while Kazaa Lite does cost, you can just briefly get Kazaa, download Kazaa Lite, and toss away Kazaa. It's as simple as that. Then you have a great file-sharing program that doesn't spy on you.
- I HATE MSN messenger with a passion. There's no obvious way to turn the **** thing off, and everytime I try to close it it says it's being used by something else...**** thing. No loss. -
- Office...eh, would you really use it? I never did... -
- Kazaa is the biggest piece of spyware EVER made, so happy they don't make it for Mac. -

OP
C

Cloudane

The "other thing" using MSN is usually Norton Antivirus instant messaging protection. Turn it off, and you can kill MSN.

I've had very little luck with Kazaa... whilst there are things like K++ lite and Diet K out there to remove the spyware, whenever you search for anything it's usually broken (e.g. many MP3s make a horrible screeching noise a few seconds into the song) or a virus/trojan. Limewire is much better. (If I find a piece of music I like I buy it on iTunes so that it's a decent quality recording)

OP
T

TylerMoney

the only thing I use my pc for still: doom 3, counterstrike, baulders gate, warcraft III..which I can play on my mac anywho, and ...that's about it.

I find expose much more useful, and fast, that anything on windows. Though I still use my wondows pc almost everyday in one way or another. I don't hate it; it's just...ugly, fat, and stupid sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
citystar2k said:
Helix Producer, it'll be great if i could find one for Macs.

There's a QuickTime export plugin for Helix and Real 10. Any app that supports quickTime should be able to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah it's a pain in the butt to open up your file in iMovie and convert it.. not the best at all :( Can someone point me to another app that I could export out of? As long as it is easier then exporting out of iMovie I would be happy :)

OP
J

Joeytpg

MSN Messenger 6--Face it, right now there is NO way a Mac user can have webcam and audio chats with people who only have a .net passport. Can't be done. Maybe eventually Adium or dMSN (or maybe even aMSN) will accommodate those features, but MSN 6 is still far better, especially also due to the Application Sharing feature. There's like no Mac equivalent of that in any program.

ok so, is there a way i can use webcam ?? i really want to use it with my girlfriend ........i have amsn but i dont see any "start webcam comversation" option.............

what can i do ???

OP
F

fabio

mIRC

it's THE irc tool

theres no better alternative.
and if you believe me or not, it's one of the reason, why i just purchased a cheap notebook ($500+wLAN 11g).
this is just my IM notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
VastDeathmaster said:
Forte Agent (very nice newsreader)

Yes Agent was a nice newsreader, very powerful. I'm currently using Unison and I love it. Very nice interface, pretty powerful. Not feature complete, but it's new and being developed.

It recently won the Apple Design Award for interface.

I would say the biggest program I miss is MS Publisher. I have yet to find anything comparable on the Mac for a balance between ease of use and power. I have the power, Adobe InDesign, but I just wish the ease was there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fabio said:
mIRC

it's THE irc tool

theres no better alternative.
and if you believe me or not, it's one of the reason, why i just purchased a cheap notebook ($500+wLAN 11g).
this is just my IM notebook.

Wow, now that's IRC devotion ;)

Have you every tried Conversation?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Conversation is very nice, but I wish all the windows were sorted in tabs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oooooh. I LOVED PIRCH! It was great. I was so sad when they stopped development. I then switch to dIRC. I never really ever like mIRC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Really. mIRC was so weird!

OP
F

fabio

yeah, mIRC isn't very beautiful.
it isn't easy to use.
but it's FAST!!!

and all the mac messenger are very slow.

in mIRC the queries windows open that fast.

OP
M

Matt

iChat? If your girlfriend has AIM you can, I think. Or maybe you can only use an iSight web cam for iChat...

OP
M

Matt

I miss publisher, and the fact if you could download something you could just assume it was for Windows.

I like the dock, better I think. It is annoying though when you reach for the scroll bar at the bottom and the dock pops up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.