Turns off with no low battery warning

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 17" macbook pro.

After over a year of happy computing, my computer just turns off with no warning of a low battery. And in fact the battery is usually at 30 or 40 percent (in finder display, and also according to direct LEDS on battery).

I thought it was the battery so I replace it. Nope... still does it.
I thought it was a software problem, so I erased my disk and installed leopard... Nope still does it.

So not battery, not software. Anyone out there with an idea of what it could be?

Many thanks,

Kal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you anywhere near an Apple store

You could it to the experts bar and ask them if there are any known issues with your MacBook

Must be a hardware issue with all the things you have already tried.

Reaction score
It's not hardware

I don't think that this is a hardware issue. DID YOU UPGRADE YOUR COMPUTER TO LEOPARD? We upgraded few macBooks and macBook Pros from tiger to leopard and since then all upgraded notebooks have the same problem: No low battery warning, once the battery has been drained it shuts down the machine.

I think it is a bug in OS X 10.5 and most likely we are going to see a fix for it shortly. Apple the new Microsoft: BUILD, SELL and FIX LATER... :)

Reaction score
What Worked for Me

I went to Control Panel > Energy Saver and set it back to the defaults. I had set it to Never put the computer to sleep, and I haven't had a shutdown since I set it back to the 10-minute default.

Reaction score
17 macbook pro battery problem

I am also having this problem. No warning and computer just loosing power shutting down even when battery length shows as 50-60%. I upgraded from tiger to leopard but ages ago and this has only recently started happening.

Reaction score
MBP 15" Upgraded to leopard. Same story

Have recently started experiencing this problem. Tried reinstalling OSX, installing iFan control, resetting etc.
tried the suggestion from this thread on energy saving - still no turn offs for 20 mins. I literally had them every 3-5 mins! It is a disaster as I'm working on a project with hardcore deadline... :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.