• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Copy: Input/output Error on Disk Utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 (Graphite)1.4GHz, Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz.
Hi,
I'm trying to make multiple copies of a DVD i've made using iDVD and can't get it to work using Disk Utility. While searching for an explanation of the error i get i found a similar question on another forum, which remained unanswered.

"Input/output Error" would suggest it was a driver problem or suchlike to me but that doesn't follow the usual problem-free Mac driver set-up.

I've made copies of a previous DVD i made by this method , and have since followed the 'Help' to the letter to no avail. I've tried several third party copying utilities to no avail.

Is my system damaged? Is there another way to copy DVDs?

Note: it takes my old Mac 4hrs to render the DV for disk burning purposes, and even then it only burns few before any system interupt halts the process (freezes). I need probably 20+ copies of a friends social event and the footage so far covers three DVD's, it's turning into a nightmare!

I'm running an old G4 (AGP Graphics) with processor upgraded to 1.4GHz, an added DVD burner, 1.12GB SDRAM, and two added HDDs, one internal one external, with the DV on the added HDDs. (the original 30G one is full of software!) OS X 10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have a similar set-up

I only get burn errors when its a warm day and the machine has been running hot for a while

also - is the media cheap - that could also be it.

also upon up system profiler and select Disc Burning - does it say Yes to Burn Support and does the drive have under-run protection?

Otherwise

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 (Graphite)1.4GHz, Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz.
Hmm, the DVD-Rs were fairly cheap, but not the cheapest!
I have an app that lets me see the CPU temp and it rarely heats up when trying to work with the DVDs, which surpised me!
My system profiler reads as:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108
Revision: 1.14
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Vendor Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Where would i find the under-run protection info?

Thanks, by the way!

[edit] from the manufacturers website, it does have under-run protection [/edit]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.