install winxp on bootcamp using external drive failed

Reaction score
My internal cdrw spoilt and cannot read any cd...so i use an external dvdrw to use bootcamp to install winxp pro but macbook cannot boot up on tat....

i went to apple website and they listed out tat u can't use a USB or Firewire external cdrw to install winxp on bootcamp...

so now i'm stuck...i wanna install winxp on bootcamp...so is there any other ways? i dun wan to install parallels desktop or use vmware as i prefer my macbook to boot straight 2 window than booting on OS 10 and launch parallel or vmware to open winxp...

thks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You could try a UBCDWin CD to boot from the external CD/RW drive. Once that is done you could try ghosting an image of XP (on say an ext usb hd) created on another intel Mac to your Mac's NTFS partition.

This is all speculating on the fact that you create a UBCDWin CD that boots from the ext CD/RW. I've done the above with my Macbook, but that was the internal CD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'm thinking no. Boot camp wouldn't know what to do with it.

Can you image a VHD to a normal partition? If not, then again,...no. If yes, then give it a shot.

Oh yeah,...how's your backup? :eek:)

OP
K
Reaction score
UBCDWin CD as mean the cd have winxp image inside?? do u mind listing out step by step...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.