Macbook Pro: Windows under boot camp - cannot find setup.exe on mac os dvd

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just installed windows XP SP2 using boot camp, after first boot up into windows I ejected the xp installation cd (as per the boot camp guide) and insert my Mac OS X 10.4.10 dvd and when opening "my computer" the cd shows up as full but when I open the drive there is no setup.exe file to install all the drivers.... actually no files show up. The bootcamp guide tells me there should be a setup.exe file but nothing shows.

Any ideas? I've used ISO Buster under windows and it cannot see the dvd as multi session/multi layer, I was thinking that Apple formated the DVD under 2 sessions. 1 OS and another for XP but ISO buster only found the OS session.

The Bootcamp guide tells me that after the first XP bootup I should eject the XP setup cd and insert the mac os install cd which should auto launch the setup.exe or manually double click to open cd drive and execute the exe myself but non of this is present!!

Macbook hardware:
Intel 2 core duo 2.4ghz
Geforce 8600 - Graphics
RAM: 4gb
HDD: 200gb @ 7200RPM
Display: 17" - High Def

Mac OS X 10.5
HDD partition: 160GB

XP SP2 (no updates)
HDD partition: 25GB.

Would be greatfull for any help.

Kind regards,
Arnie

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First thing you say one place 10.4.10 and another 10.5. Which is it? With 10.4 and the Beta BootCamp it made a CD for you with the drivers. I have not tried Bootcamp in 10.5 Leopard as yet. Are you sure it says there is a windows driver section?

Edit: I just booted up an XP SP2 machine and put in my Factory Leopard DVD. Setup ran automatically. It's there if you have a legal 10.5 Leopard DVD.

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
I think you need to put the Leopard CD in the drive and find the setup.exe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are no drivers on a Tiger disc, only the Leopard disc. If you have Leopard installed, then pop in your Leopard install disc. If you have Tiger installed, then you're going to have to use the driver disc that was created by the Boot Camp Wizard in OS X.

OP
A
Reaction score
First thing you say one place 10.4.10 and another 10.5. Which is it? With 10.4 and the Beta BootCamp it made a CD for you with the drivers. I have not tried Bootcamp in 10.5 Leopard as yet. Are you sure it says there is a windows driver section?

Edit: I just booted up an XP SP2 machine and put in my Factory Leopard DVD. Setup ran automatically. It's there if you have a legal 10.5 Leopard DVD.

Hi mate,

I purchased my new Macbook Pro 17", it cam with Leopard installed. When I check my CD/DVD software restore cds I got with it, it says "Macbook Pro OS X install disc 1, Mac OS version 10.4.10".

Does this mean that I got a TIGER restore disc? instead of leopard?

Thanks
Arnie

OP
A
Reaction score
There are no drivers on a Tiger disc, only the Leopard disc. If you have Leopard installed, then pop in your Leopard install disc. If you have Tiger installed, then you're going to have to use the driver disc that was created by the Boot Camp Wizard in OS X.

Hi Mate,

I just got my Macbook pro 17", it says that i have Leopard 10.5 but when I look at the restore disc it says "MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1, Mac OS Version 10.4.10"
So I guess someone forgot to give me my Leopard disc....

Now what? probably have to ring apple support and get them to send me a disc because thats probably the only way.

1 thing I wish for, sales people to get a clue!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi mate,

I purchased my new Macbook Pro 17", it cam with Leopard installed. When I check my CD/DVD software restore cds I got with it, it says "Macbook Pro OS X install disc 1, Mac OS version 10.4.10".

Does this mean that I got a TIGER restore disc? instead of leopard?

Thanks
Arnie

Yes, they gave you a Tiger DVD. Is there also a 10.5 DVD? There should be since it's installed on that machine.

For sure give them a call if there is not another DVD with the machine with 10.5 on it.

Reaction score
Can't get back to mac os x after booting windows vista

hi there,
I've booted my macbook leopard with windows vista but didn't realize that i needed os x DVD as well. now after booting the windows when i turn my macbook on or even login i just cant get back to my mac os x nor see any boot camp command in the vista. i tried pressing alt/options but no use.:'(
Now did i lose all my savings in my mac os x. and is there a way i can get it all back? or even switch back to mac os x?
and if i do get the mac os x DVD and boot camp it again would i recover my old os x with its saved files? or would it be a completely brand new one?
help plzzzzzzz

Reaction score
If you properly installed Vista under Boot Camp, if you hold down the Option key during the boot you should get the choice to boot into OSX or Windows. If this does not work, you did something wrong during the install. Try booting from your Leopard disk instead and see what you get. If you can boot into OSX from your Leopard disk, then you should be able to set the default boot OS from there. If not, you can do it in Windows under System Preferences.

If when you boot from your Leopard disk there is no Mac volume on the HD, only the Windows volume, then you will need to reinstall OSX.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.