Programming Direction - Help Needed

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums,

I am looking for a little direction and a few good people to point me into it, so I knew this would be my first stop in asking for help. A few fellow coworkers and I are looking into developing a software application for Mac OS X Native.

After doing research for the past 3 years and working in the particular field for the past 14 years I have decided to write my own application. This application will be used in the private sector in an office setting (servers, sql server, workstations).

The basis of the application will be a setting where the workstations would use a client application to access information from a sql server (MySQL Pro) and pull in information for the client to see. This is very very basic in the structure but just laying the ground work for my question.

So knowing how I want the application to work, I am asking what is the best program to use in programing it? I have seen a few different ones for OS X and it seems Cocoa might be able to do it.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Clownzer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Use the XCode IDE and Cocoa as much as you can to future-proof your applications.

Carbon isn't being ported to be 64-bit, so it stands to reason they'll be phasing it out over the next few OS releases.

OP
C
Reaction score
Use the XCode IDE and Cocoa as much as you can to future-proof your applications.

Carbon isn't being ported to be 64-bit, so it stands to reason they'll be phasing it out over the next few OS releases.

Thank you for your quick reply Aptmunich!

This software will be used in the medical field so future-proof is a necessity!
:D

OP
C
Reaction score
Another question for the developers out there, I am/was planning on using MySQL Pro for the database but now I am seeing that it does have its limitations compared to MS Sql in the areas of queries, stored procedures and key constraints.

Is there something else out there that can be used in the wild and is OS X compatible? Ideally I would like to keep the clients environment all OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.