Questions about installing Broadcaster (LAN user messages)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I found what seems to be a great little LAN messaging client called Broadcaster.

Product Description:
This couple of tools enables networked Mac’s to receive unprompted user messages from any partner in a collaborative LAN, as when in a team the need rises to share attention on a particular subject. Simply load the receiver, eventually at login time, on any Mac planned to receive info and load the broadcaster on all Macs foreseen to send that info.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32922

The Author's site specifies that for this to work, ports 49990 and 49991 must be open.

How do I do that in Leopard?
Will it work on Leopard??

Thanks,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hello???

All I really want to know is:

The Author's site specifies that for this to work, ports 49990 and 49991 must be open (LAN).

How do I do that in Leopard?

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not 100% sure about this since the Firewall setup changed in 10.5

System Prefs > Security > Firewall

You can either set it to accept all incoming connections or only specific ones. If you choose the later you have to add the apps to the list.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not 100% sure about this since the Firewall setup changed in 10.5

System Prefs > Security > Firewall

You can either set it to accept all incoming connections or only specific ones. If you choose the later you have to add the apps to the list.

Thanks Baggss, you've been a gret help.

I realized that the firewall settings had really changed in Leopard, left me a bit confused. What I'll try is add the apps to the list and see what happens. I also posted the same question on the Author's site.

Cheers,
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.