Keyboard oils damaing screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I got my MacBook Pro a couple months ago, and my Uncle (an avid Mac user) told me that I really should put a piece of cardboard in between the screen and keyboard when I close the screen, because the oil on my fingers will get on the keys, then on the screen, and it will cause damage to the screen over time.

He said that it happened to one of his MacBooks from a few years ago.

Do you think this has any validity? Does anyone else do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
the screen doesn't touch the keyboard so i have no idea how that happened to him. he might of pushed down on it accidentally. i wouldn't worry about it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)
His experience comes from the Powerbook Titanium G4

The Macbook screen doesn't touch the keyboard. I've had a titanium G4 for the last 4 years, the screen did touch the keyboard and after about 2 years I started getting small scratches and smudges from prolonged contact with the keyboard. He had a powerbook, not a macbook, and cardboard is not the preferred solution. I had two different materias I used one was a faux leather, the other was a Gel. The leather worked the best but there were still marks on the screen. Again you don't have anthing to worry about with Macbook. Enjoy it...

OP
Weird Fish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. Thank you so much. It's quite irritating when I'm in class to put a piece of cardboard under my desk while I'm using my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I picked up one of these: http://www.allsop.com/mouse-pads/pc-gamers-mouse-pads/model-29649/widescreen-mouse-pad-black/

I need a mouse pad for my external mouse, my desk at the office is stainless steel. It fits nicely inside, over the keys and allows the screen to close normally.

Now that I think about it though. The oils off my wrist and hand may be getting on the pad, then sitting next to the screen. I will make an effort to put the bottom of the pad towards the screen now.

Thanks for adding something else I need to worry about (I have issues).

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
if you put any pressure on the top of the computer yes it does touch the screen. You can tell after a while as you will start to see small scratches on the screen. I had one for my iBook, not only does it protect the screen, it also doubles as a microfiber cleaning cloth.

OP
Weird Fish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you put any pressure on the top of the computer yes it does touch the screen. You can tell after a while as you will start to see small scratches on the screen. I had one for my iBook, not only does it protect the screen, it also doubles as a microfiber cleaning cloth.
What if I don't put anything on top of it, but it's always in a case, sideways?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
does anything lean on it while its in the case? I had mine in a neoprene case in my backpack along with a few text books, and the screen and keyboard touched.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.