No more windows

G

gdgrifflaw

OMG, just got my new 14" iBook. Why did it take me so long. Goodbye windows.

OP
G

gdgrifflaw

What I use to use

I used a winbook laptop as my main computer. I also had a windows peer to peer simply network at the office that I would use my laptop on. We used Windows 2000 professional server as our network. And of course, I had to have an IT guy to handle any problems I had. What a pain and it was expensive. I could have bought a complete Mac network server and all the computers for what I spent the last 3 years on IT support. I don't believe I will have that problem with the change to Mac's. As to specific specs, I don't know on the old window machines. I do know that my new iBook works faster, smoother and is a lot more fun than my old Winbook laptop. Thanks for asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Are you up to date on Mac maintenance apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
MacJanitor is you want an easy GUI, which you still must manually tell it to do stuff

Macaroni takes care of ALL maintenace(its automated) for $9(I suggest)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Or you can run crons from finder > applications > utilities > terminal type sudo sh /etc/daily and every week change daily to weekly, and every month monthly. If you use the terminal for nothing else, you could put it in the dock and access one step and use the up arrow to get the last used command. I type exit after to complete the use of terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Stick with MacJanitor, it's easy to use and fool proof.

(click Image to download)

Product*Description:
Freeware utility to run the system's daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance scripts (located at /etc/daily, /etc/weekly, and /etc/monthly).

These scripts are normally run between 3am and 5am, and will not be run if you shut off your Mac at night. This will allow log files to grow very large, and prevent system databases from getting backed up.

With MacJanitor, you can run these scripts 'by hand' periodically without having to use the Terminal to keep your Mac OS X machine in top racing form.

Excellent for laptop users and others who shut off or put their Macs to sleep at night.

What's new in this version:
• Changes include dumb 'wrong password in the keychain not noticed' bug zapped
• 'Keep in keychain' option now defaults to Off
• French localization now included, thanks to Stéphane Cohou
• Built on Mac OS X 10.2.2.

Ignore witeshark, he's always at the terminal. He's one of those sad folks without a girl, you know!
We often wonder, does he know what is female is and what's not. Hmm...

Typo's in the terminal can kill your system before you know it, then you'll be re-installing everything again.
So if your not familier with Unix commands, i'd stick to the GUI version, they do the same thing.

MacJanitor_screenshot.jpg

OP
M

Matt

Congrats! I also am a switcher. I didn't get a new machine though, I got an iMac G3 (Which I love :))
h

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.