trouble deleting files of my thumb drive

Reaction score
i have had this problem for some time with my thumb drives. the thumb drive was formatted with ms-dos file system. when for example i have 100mb of free space on the drive and i remove something that is 10mb i should be left with 110mb of free space right? well once i send the file to trash it is gone from the drive but i still have only 100mb of free space? i can unmount and remount the drive and its still the same? what is causing this? the file is gone but no more free space? this never happened under windows.

M

MacHeadCase

It's not enough to drag the file to the trash, you have to empty the trash as well otherwise the file stays on your key in an invisible folder marked as .trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like MHC said, you have to empty the Trash. To be honest, I find this "feature" to be quite annoying and while I can see the reason for it, I just wish there were a way to turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Like MHC said, you have to empty the Trash. To be honest, I find this "feature" to be quite annoying and while I can see the reason for it, I just wish there were a way to turn it off.
If there were, these boards would be full of people who deleted their life's work with one mouse motion. It may sound convenient, but if files disappeared as soon as you Trashed them, it would be a disaster waiting to happen

That's why the Trash-then-Empty concept exists on every operating system. People just can't be trusted not to obliterate their files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Wow.

I feel dumb. Same problem.

Thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.