Can I back up windows files whilst in Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vic20
Hi, just upgraded to Leopard. I have been using Time Machine to back up my Mac HD. But I wondered if I can get it to back up the contents of the Windows XP partition at the same time? Or do I (can I?) restart in Windows and back up separately?
Can anyone help me out? It would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Time Machine can't backup any other drive other than the startup disk (I think). So you will either have to use a separate backup solution like SuperDuper or...well there's no or.

Reaction score
SuperDuper isn't fully compatible with Leopard tho according to their site. Isn't that still true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Not sure about SuperDuper's leopard compatibility, but there is this app named "Backup". I know some people in TUAW use it for stuff. Should be fine for most purposes... Anyway, Leopard compatibility is just a matter of a month or two....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
SuperDuper is not yet ready for Leopard.
At this time, am not aware of a back up utility that would be installed in Leopard that will back up your windows partition.

You can manually copy the files/folders you want to back up from your XP partition to your external drive.

Rem

Reaction score
Use Winclone to backup your Windows bootcamp partition and then Time Machine your Leopard system..

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vic20
Another question!
I installed Winclone, and selected my source (windows XP.) Then when I clicked 'Image' I was asked to save it in Documents. Is this correct? Does that mean that the entire windows partition will be backed up in Documents, which in turn will be Time Machined? Sorry if this is a numbskull question - just trying to get my head round stuff.

Reaction score
I tried WinClone too, but it requires NTFS. When I installed my Bootcamp partition, it recommended I use FAT32 for easy Mac-side access.

Otherwise, it seems like it would have been a great tool.

To answer Spinney, I think you're right. Winclone just compresses the Windows partition into a file and stores it anywhere on your Mac hard drive. It doesn't have to be in Documents. You can put it anywhere you like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.