Which MySQL should I download?

Reaction score
English expat in Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi people. Im a programming novice and Im a bit lost!

I want to download MySQL but am confused by the number of MySQLs available for download from their website! I have a Macbook Tiger. Im reading stuff on Darwin v Rhapsody, and TAR v Package, please help!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Even I need to know how to get PHP and MySQL installed on the Mac... any guide around?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you are planning to place a database online via a hosting company, it seems most of them are still stuck on a 4.x release. The 5.x release has some nice new features but if you are new to coding databases then that may not be important right now.

If both of you search this site you can find a recommendation for an install tool that takes care of both MySQL and PHP. Using PHP through Apache is a matter of uncommenting a couple of lines in its config file. I don't remember having to install a special version of PHP when I played with it a while ago.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Download and install 'Mamp' it will configure PHP, Apache and MySQL for you!

OP
S
Reaction score
English expat in Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi people,

I downloaded mysql 5.0 but theres no pkg file for me to open and install the thing, what have I done wrong?!

To xstep: should I download 4.x instead of 5.x? what do the current social-networking sites run off? My idea is essentially a social-networking site but not a general one like myspace or facebook, Im aiming for a much smaller audience, but nontheless, they are an inspiration.

To Del: I successfully uncommented the lines needed to get php working on my Tiger. There was a little bug where "?" was put in 2 places that stopped my apache from working but a friend and I found it and sorted it. I did download and install MAMP but I got rid of it in the end because its not the same as enabling whats already on my Tiger and installing the other necessary bits. But thanks any way.

Hope to hear from people soon!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I said why I thought 4.x might be better to use. You can find hosting companies that have 5.x installed, sometimes you have to state that is what you want. So if you know your hosting company can supply 5.x, then go with that because it gives you more abilities. And it sounds like you want to code from scratch, so those abilities may come in handy.

I can't help the the pkg question as that is not in my head currently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.