Finder Tabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I know there is an app called Pathfinder that allows you to have tabbed finder windows.

Who here would like to see that feature built in to OS X

And apart from Pathfinder - is there any other programs that has this feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I played with it once but it didn't do much for me. The idea is neat but I'm not sure about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't see the need for 'tabs' in finder. It's not the same as in a web browser where you have to have multiple tabs open. The concepts are totally different and would confuse the average user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't see the need for 'tabs' in finder. It's not the same as in a web browser where you have to have multiple tabs open. The concepts are totally different and would confuse the average user.

The concepts are the same regardless of the app. If users can handle tabs in a browser there's no reason they can't handle them in any other app - there are many programs that use tabs.

I'd like it as an option in Finder, as I could then use a single Finder window for my file management.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Browser tabs and finder tabs the same? I don't think so. In the browser, your two tabs have totally different content and there's no interaction within the tab. That is, you have to have two tabs open.

While in finder, with drag and drop capabilities, one would generally have just one Finder window open. Now what would be useful in Finder, would be dual browsing panes (the right hand sidepart). So you have one navigation tree, but two windows right within the same window. (Am I confused? I think so)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
The idea of tabs is to display multiple pages of content in one window - you're being too specific by pointing out the difference between browser and Finder content.

If Tabs were so confusing, you wouldn't find them in every web browser, or Eclipse, or Netbeans, or Smultron, or VodooPad, or Delphi, or Dreamweaver, or EditPad, etc.

And how would you navigate with two panes in one window? Which one would the navigation tree control? And each one would need it's own toolbar. I'm confused already, and no-one's even done it yet.

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Well, opinion is divided for now

Would be nice to have it as an option

Reaction score
goobimama - You're useless in the matter. The concept of tabs is a UI concept, not a per-program concept. More in less space is UI...

Anyhow, I use PathFinder, as you can quit Finder, and tell OSX to refer to PathFinder when opening something in Finder, etc. It more or less over writes Finder in every day use, more or less.

With it's multitude of options, it's the best Finder replacement I have used, although it's network usage is odd, and does need a normal finder window for network browsing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Wow, way to bring up a six-month-old thread.

And calling any members here "useless" is uncalled for.

It really doesn't make sense for the Finder, because it's easy to have several Finder windows open and spread out on a typical display.

Web pages are a fixed size, usually a pretty large relative to the monitor (perhaps 50-100% of the typical monitor). So once you have more than two browser windows open, they become unmanageable. Hence, tabs.Same thing with text editing windows. They're typically page-sized or larger. Finder windows are usually a good bit smaller, and they tend to tollerate being resized better.

Finally, as goobimama said, it's valuable to be able to drag and drop items between Finder windows. Not something you typically have to do with web browsers or text editors.

So, basically...if you like PathFinder, use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.