Game Programming Question.

Reaction score
Is it possible to code a full featured fully functional FPS in Cocoa/Objective-C and only cocoa/Objective-C? I would imagine it would run alot better then c++ or regular c, but what kind of difficulty are we looking at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I don't know about objective C, but 'regular C' is blazing fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would expect a good C programmer could write faster code even if he also knew Objective-C or C++ as well. The reason is object coding has overhead that straight C does not.

To get the most performance out of a CPU you would want to become an expert assembly language programmer. In the past I have seen it argured with brief code samples that a good C programmer with a good optimizing C compiler can create code as efficient as an expert assembly coder, or extremely close.

Remember that Objective-C is a superset of C, so that means you have all of the capabilities of C if you want to write straight C code in parts of your code.

I don't know the answer to your first question. Tiger and Leopard take advantage of the GPU and that may give enough performance boost to side step the objective coding overhead issues. This I think is the type of thing you have to investigate by doing some learning and experiment coding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.