Font issues

Reaction score
Hey people. First post -- if I'm doing something stupid let me know.

I've got this sweet quad-core Mac Pro in the office about a week ago, and our designer is moving fonts from her PC to the new Mac.

After having copied the fonts through the network (to her Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts folder, which I later moved to her profile's Library/Fonts folder) and having locking issues (which were resolved ;)), Safari is displaying Google's homepage in some sort of funky typesetting, and some of her Flash work (in CS3) can't find the fonts.

Some applications, such as Flash 8, also display certain parts of the UI in a odd font.

Using FontBook to disable all of her custom fonts resolves the strange UI issues, but then Flash CS3 can't find any fonts at all.

Could someone help me out with this? I love my Macbook Pro, and I'm trying to get her to love her Mac Pro just as much. :)

Reaction score
I installed the following which worked for me:

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

I just got my macbook pro, and i transfered about 3,000 fonts from my pc to my mac.

In the start the transfer process crashed every single time, and i thought it wouldn't work but a simple reboot made it all work for me. Haven't had any problems since.

As far as im aware of, fontbook doesn't handle large font collections very well so that may be your issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the tip. But when I open one of her Flash CS3 projects, it still cannot find the fonts, although I'm not seeing any more cursive fonts in Safari. :)

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
FontExplorer will not auto open fonts for Flash - you will need to quit flash, open the fonts manually in FontExplorer and open Flash Again

If you are missing fonts in Safari then you may have opted to let FontExplorer manage ALL fonts including some that browsers and the system needs.

There is a good guide here about font management in OS X.
http://dl.extensis.com/downloads/SC/EN/P/Fonts_Best_Practices_in_OSX.pdf

If you are having problems with Safari see page 6 and make sure the essential fonts and page 8 for essential web fonts - either put these back in the places said or make sure Font Explorer has them loaded.

Reaction score
You need to make sure in font explorer that the fonts are active and enabled. Might have to make sure font explorer is open.

What i did was created a folder in font explorer and put my 3,000 fonts in that folder.

I use flash cs3 as well and what i do is:

1. Open font explorer
2. Enable the entire folder that contains my 3,000 fonts
3. Open flash

All my fonts appear in flash.

OP
D
Reaction score
I created a new Folder inside of FontExploerer, and placed all of the two-thousand-something downloaded fonts in there.

Now some fonts, even though they are activated and the Application Caches have been cleared, cannot be seen. For instance, a font named Mr.B isn't available in Flash CS3 although it is activated and viewable in FontExplorer.

The same holds true for TTF fonts I download, as a test, from dafont.com.

By the way, thanks to you all who've helped me thus far. This is a very nice forum!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.